Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone order from Variegated Foliage Nursery?

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 20:51

I've been eying them up for quite some time but their shipping is so so expensive (35% of order from CT to WI).

If their quality is good, I might splurge on a couple plants I've been wanting for a couple years. However the few reviews from DG don't sound promising.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone order from Variegated Foliage Nursery?

I think I would be very hesitant to order from them, given their reviews. It seems like a hit-and-miss type of place. Even some of their positive reviews on G.WD. don't seem very reassuring. Might be worth the gamble if they had something really special.

o

I have ordered from them in the past, but not for probably 8 years or so. I was very satisfied with the plants received. One suggestion: order by phone instead of by mail. Far less chance of being lost in the shuffle and those answering the phone were, at least in my case, helpful and knowledgable. Btw, 35% shipping from CT to WI does not seem unreasonable. People often think they're being gouged by shipping and packing costs, but if you've ever done it you know it's usually closer to a loss than a profit center. Very large nurseries can negotiate shipping contracts with UPS and FedEx. Smaller mail order operations like Variegated Foliage cannot.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 8:16

Thanks for the suggestions I might just stick to the couple plants I've been waiting on and see how it goes.

Aka, I hear you on the contracts. I ship through my wife's work all the time. I can typically send 2 gallon plants across country for $8. VFN would be $21 half way. My main comparison is Broken Arrow which is a similar size nursery in the same state that charges 25%. It all depends if you're getting more common stuff or the harder to get stuff, which you pay a shipping penalty on due to the higher cost. One of the reasons I hate nurseries charging a % vs using a calculator for size of plant and volume...ie Conifer Kingdom. Another peeve is those that use the USPS. I understand the rates though due to the excessive average salary and benefits package given for that skill set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here