Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmac7926

Need help identifying a tree

jmac7926
9 years ago

Could anyone help me with what kind of tree this is, and how to prune it..? Any help would be appreciated...

Comments (13)

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

think it might help to have a close up of the leaves and IF available pics of fruit and/or flowers---at least for me, LOL. hopefully, someone smarter or with better eyes will be able to help you with the picture available.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

I agree. I can't see leaf shape, branching pattern, or much detail about the bark.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

some kind of legustrum

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

maybe a ligustrum as mentioned above by tibean and if so possibly l. japonicum/Japanese privet BUT still think more details on the leaves would help confirm this.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Might be an osmanthus, can't tell much from this shot.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

bboy, think that the one thing we can all agree on is that we indeed "can't tell much from this shot" and so any answers proposed are still more in the nature of guesses at this point. interestingly enough, both osmanthus and ligustrum are members of the olive/oleaceae family and thus "cousins"(close or otherwise) of a sort, LOL.

This post was edited by georgeinbandonoregon on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 1:04

• jmac7926
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I took some closer pics, and will post them as soon as I can figure out how I did the first one, LOL....Thanks for replying though, and hopefully the new pics will give a better idea...Oh, the tree doesn't bear any fruit, or flower....

• jmac7926
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think this might help...

• jmac7926
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pics

• jmac7926
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more pics

• jmac7926
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this one...

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

if the leaves are opposite (leaves are in the same position on opposite sides of the stem/two leaves at each point on the stem then you probably have an osmanthus of some sort possibly either o. fragrans/"sweet olive" or o x fortunei--a hybrid of fragrans and another species. in any case, when and if they flower, the individual flowers will be small but sweetly scented---like ripe apricots some say. the fruits will be black sort of like small olives (osmanthus like privet is a member of the olive family). hope this may help.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Yeah, I'd say judging by the opposite leaf arrangement and presence of some leaf spines, it's an Osmanthus x fortunei. They tend to lose some of their spines on mature foliage.

It would help to know the bloom period (length) and what the fragrance is like -- also to some degree bloom color. Fragrans smells like fruit loops and is powerful. Can bloom up to two months.

X fortunei not quite as much fragrance and only blooms for several weeks.

I think you can probably prune to your heart's content -- maybe in early spring.

Mine have leaves all the way to the ground and I did not choose to prune any of the lower growth. I tend to like them that way for my purpose.

I've seen these pruned as more of a low hedge, so they can be pruned lower. They do want to grow maybe 15 to 20 feet or more naturally -- depending on where you live.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 14:08