Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do mature honey locust not grow thorns?

Posted by l_james mo5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 21:57

I was preparing to cut up the top of a large honey locust which had been harvested for timber and I commented to my son that it was one of the thornless honey locust that you occasionally see. He replied that the honey locust must not grow thorns once they get very mature. I wasn't sure about that so I started looking around at other trees and perhaps he's right.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do mature honey locust not grow thorns?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 22:43

A thornless variety inermis occurs. Cultivars selected and used for amenity planting are all thornless.

o

• Posted by beng z6b western MD (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 26, 09 at 11:24

Thorny HLocusts sometimes decrease or even stop producing thorns as they reach maturity & growth slows down.

o

Mon, Jan 26, 09 at 13:36

Also seems like there is a tendency for large, branching thorns to be a feature of the lower parts of the main trunk. If these are a response to terrestrial browers there wouldn't of course be much pressure to evolve thorns high up in the canopy.

o

Those Gleditsia of wild heritage have some of the most forbidding thorns of anything I've ever seen. And as with so many things, it seems that when the thorns were selected away from in creating cultivars, some other good qualities went away too. Those wild, thorny ones also seem to be larger-growing and less prone to canker diseases than such landscape staples as 'inermis', ie. "Skyline honeylocust.

There is an especially impressive one in one of our older parks. There are thorns down on the lower trunk that must be twelve inches in length, very stout and very sharp.

+oM

o

There are thornless varieties or cultivars of honey locust; also rooted cuttings taken above the thorn line produce thornless trees. The honey locust is holdover from the ice age, the thorns were a defense against animals that could browse up to fifteen feet (mammoths, ground sloths, etc), no animals exist today that can browse to that height. Above the fifteen the trees have no thorns. Ive seen thorn 18 inches long on some trees.

o

Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 15:54

The North American analog to the parasol acacias of the African savannah.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 16:10

The larger honey locusts around here have thorns far above 15'.

An 18" thorn would be impressive! The largest clusters I've noticed around here are probably around 6" to 8".

o

Here's a photo of a very longed thorned honey locust: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21734563@N04/3233243170/?edited=1

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 8:34

That's one mean looking tree; if the monster thorns don't kill you, the poison ivy will make you wish you were dead.

o

I have a honey locust that's either not a cultivar or is from a thornless cultivar that isn't true from seed, and thus has thorns. I've mostly just been clipping them back as they show up. However, does this present a risk to the tree of getting infections of nematode infestations or whatever else? Should I be putting something on the cuts?

o

No, cutting the thorns will not harm the tree.

o

I didn't know that the honey locust didn't grow thorns above 15ft so I checked out a few trees and sure enough it's true.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here