Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa

poaky1
9 years ago

Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak "Late drop" and the Q. Fusiformis from Joe in Moe for me (poaky1) in my zone 6 yard. I replied to Elektron in the last thread, but am starting this new thread, because the old one was too darn long. Poaky1

Comments (316)

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Got them Poaky - thanks

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay Joe, BTW, my Fusi from you just put out a flush about 2-3 inches recently, the leaves are reddish orange. I haven't watered or anything. I guess it MAY be able to harden off before a deep freeze here. We have gone up to mid to late Nov before it happens in some winters. I am hoping the El Ninio helps with that, or we just deep freeze late. I should be able to have some of the Christmas lights on the Fusi also. Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Poaky - hopefully tney will harden off in 2 weeks or so before you get a frost

• hairmetal4ever
    8 years ago

Joe - thanks - let me know when you get the Quartz Mountain fusi seed.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Will do Hairmetal

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Poaky, alba already sprouting and planted

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great Joe, I started 2 in my yard a day or 2 before I mailed yours out. I moved one of them today, I could'nt find the 2nd one I planted. The one I found had put down about a 3 inch taproot already. I dug it up and dug down the 3ish inches to replant it further from my house. I have sowed a hybrid Burr X Chinkapin (2 acorns) on the other corner of the south side of my house. I moved them because after I had sowed the BurrXChinkapin hybrid acorns, my family decided to get Direct Tv, and they put that dish pretty darn close to where I had sown the acorns. I still have the one Q. Alba a bit close to the dish, but I am thinking after the 2 year plan expires we may be switching again. If the tree gets too big, I can cut it down in 2 years, and still have the hybrid oak for shade on the south side of the house, it is about 15-18 ft away from the house, even better than the 10 ft the Q. Alba acorn is. I have 2 Q. Alba trees that are about 13 ft tall, so I do have 2 Q.A., so if I MUST get rid of the acorn/baby tree, I do have 2 others in the yard, but, those only 2 hybrid acorn/baby trees,can stay where they are despite if the dish stays or not. Sorry for rambling. BTW, Joe the Live oaks are doing great still. I have faith in the Q.M.L.O. but, don't want to get too cocky, for lack of a better word. I had done that with my "Late drops" a few years ago, and got a big surprise when they croaked the second year. Well, lets just see what happens, I will be putting the Christmas lights on if the cold gets too much, like about 5F- 0F, or colder. Joe, I only got about 5 of those BurrXChinkapin Hybrid oaks (Q. Deamii) or I would';ve offered you some. I sent 2 to Dax, and kept the other 3. Dax has sent me 3 or more trees/seeds, so I gave to him 1st. I know you have also, so If you want to try them, I will get there earlier next year and get more. I just realized the tree was a hybrid about 2 weeks ago. I know, you may not care anyway, but, if you want, next year I will get you as many as I can find, if you want. Later Joe Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Cool Poaky, grab me some next year

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    8 years ago

Hey Poaky, long time no talk. I always enjoy reading yours and Joe's comments. If you're still willing to part with those Late Drops, I will very happily take them. Just let me know.

Kyle

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great Kyle, I was hoping you would send me a message here, I will need your address where to send the seedlings. My email is julie.gogola@yahoo.com I will try to send you 2 of them, "late drop" L.O. seedlings, and possibly one Q. Fusiformis from Arizona. I may have a hard time removing a couple from the ground. But, i am going to wait until AT LEAST Oct. 18th to get them out of the ground, maybe a few days more. There are still alot of trees here with green leaves on them.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    8 years ago

Sounds good Poaky. I will email you this evening.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Poaky if you get a chance take a pic of your Quartz mountain and that little Fusi I sent to you

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Here is my Texas Fusiformis at dusk, will get some pics of my Quartz Mtn. Live Oaks soon

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Looks great joe, from that angle it looks like Godzilla tree taking over your house! I will try to get a pic of them. I have them in a close to each other position. I will need to move the little one if they both do good over the winter. I am thinking by late Oct or early Nov I will need to put the styrofoam on the trunk, and the lights on the trees. I am thinking Saturday I can get the L.O. pics. Joe when do you think that I can dig up the 2 Late drops for Kyle? Maybe late Oct? Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Poaky, depends - I don't like to plant live oak out of their normal zone in fall, I like to plant in Spring. What zone is Kyle in, does he want to risk a replant in fall with a lI've oak?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey Joe, Kyle is 6b/7a Eastern Tennessee. I am not sure what to say about the L.D. L.O. digging up in fall. He is (I think) as cold hardy as you. BTW, Joe, I took pics of my Q.M.L.O. and the Q. Fusi from you, but, I am on my moms computer now. My computer won't go online. My brother could help me get mine online but he is at Kennywood Fright night with his friends so I am SOL. We changed Tv and internet providers, so tommorrow is likely when I can post the pics. One of the "late drops" for Kyle is intertwined with a "Compton's oak" in my back yard. I really would LOVE just to get them untangled and sent to Kyle. The longer the "Late drop" and my "Compton's oak" are right next to each other, I can just imagine the roots being intermingled. I HOPE I can get the 2 "late drops" dug up, and sent to Kyle the better to me. I myself have planted trees in fall that were preffered to be planted in spring. Am. Beech is one, off the top of my brain. I can wait until November if it's a dormant issue. Later Joe

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

He could always put in a pot and bring in if the live oaks get a cold spell and then plant in the spring

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah that's true Joe. It is almost mid Oct now anyway. I think if I wait until the deciduous oaks here start to turn and shed, then I can dig em up. here is the pic Joe. 2 lives front yard

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Joe, the Fusi is the tiny little shrub sized tree in front of the Q/M/L/O. So you see that I need to move the Fusi if it does okay this winter. Later Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Here you go Poaky, I uploaded your pic

the little Fusi looks great and the Quartz Mtn looks good too.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not much to ad joe, but I was able to collect some fall oak leaves, so it should'nt be long. I ordered 2 more Compton's oaks and a Q. Pagoda. I was able to order the 2 more Compton's after asking the nursery if they had a small # of them in stock, even though they aren't available online. I am glad they had some extra. I am glad they had a few put back. I am going to be adding 4 more oaks altogether this fall, 2 Compton's, a Q. Pagoda and Q. Robur. I have seeds I will be starting also in pots of Dawn redwood, Hemlock and Rhod Maximum. I have some Sugar Maple sammaras . I will have a forest here soon. Well, hope you are able to get a few trees from the seeds I sent you, Hemlock and ?, I forget what else. Later Joe BTW, If the hemlock cones haven't opened, Dax said to put in a paper bag in a sunny window for I guess a day or 2 and they'll open, it works i tried it.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Poaky,

you should Start to see the live oaks hardening off by now - what that is "on the non-Virginiana" varieties is that leaves in areas where a stem started, turn yellow and fall off. Basically the tree is closing off the cambium to those leaves creating a stem. This creates a ring layer for the last season. However, most of the leaves on the stems will stay green and on until Spring when they all fall off and are replaced with new leaves. Obviously if it gets very cold they could change color or fall off or both.

in the photo below you can see the yellow leaf, that leaf was a solo leaf originally but then the stem started to grow from that leaf's location, now the tree is cutting the leaf off of nutrients and sending to the stem instead.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Poaky We have been in the 80's last couple days, how are your temps

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey Joe, I just looked at the Q.M.L.O. yesterday. I looked at it more thoroughly than I have for a while. I didn't notice any change in it at all yet. I didn't know then to look for the yellowing, I just read your last 2 posts just now. I'm sure it'll get there. It is very different than all my other L.O.'s, that I did see. I had to replace some mulch over the rootball area, along the edges of the rootball. We have cats, and our kitten was being a pain by removing the mulch from the whole root area. I put it back, but, I need to find a way to stop the kitten from removing it again. I know to leave the trunk without mulch, but, I want some mulch around the edges of the rootball in it's first winter. As far as temps we have been getting warmish days and chilly nights. Today my 2 temp gauges say 62F now and the gauge where the Q.M.L.O. is says todays high was 76F the back yard says 73 F was todays high. WE had a forecast of 31F last week, I am not sure if it actually happened. A family member is in the hosp, so I haven't been paying much attention to some things like I may have if we hadn't been making the trip to the VA Hosp in Pittsburgh. The readings are right there on the temp thingys in my room but, my brain hasn't been thinking to check as much as I should. But, as a general observation, it has been everything from the 40's F to 70's F. No snow yet, although it had been forecasted to have flurries last week. I have yet to have to wear my jacket that I take with me on our trips to Pittsburgh. One night I should've worn it actually. But I am hot blooded also. I will let you know when it gets below the low 40's. And stays that way, and the weather means business, IOW. When I looked really closely at the Q.M.L.O. I noticed how "tough" it looked, if that makes any sense. Kinda "rugged", like it is "one tough tree", I know that likely sounds stupid, but, I am hoping it really is "that tough".

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Poaky, during the winter you can put the mulch right up to the trunk, only in spring and summer and early fall keep it off, so if you want now is fine to mulch up to the trunk.

yes they are tough trees, cross your fingers that she makes it through your winter.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll be crossing my fingers and my toes.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    8 years ago

Close to two foot of growth on one of my mystery oaks this year.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kyle, I got the box to send the "late drop" live oaks in today. I'll be sending them out soon. I will post here when I get them mailed out. Your oak tree in the pic looks kinda like a Compton's oak leaves. But, I am likely wrong. Start a new post/thread on the tree forum here and post larger pics, maybe someone can tell you what kind you have. Later.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Poaky,

how are your temos holding up out there?

• raestr (z8 Central Ala)
    8 years ago

I'm crashing your post, but just had to comment. I have a love/hate relationship with live oaks. I love them in other people's yards, but hate them in mine. Live oaks grow pretty fast, to me anyway. If it survives, in about 10 years, your tree is going to be pretty large and nothing will grow under it because of the dense shade. I've been limbing up the 2 in my yard for the past 15 years. As the tree gets bigger, the limbs grow down toward the ground. Every time you cut off a limb, there are more to replace it, growing down so that you can't mow around it easily. I have barely any grass in my front yard now because the tree is so large. My front yard is sloped so that it gets morning sun under the tree and I have variegated vinca planted there that has done well. But the tree in the back yard, nothing grows under it. My back yard does not slope and I can't possibly limb it up enough for sunlight to allow anything to grow. I have posted pics of my front yard tree in another post about the vinca if you want to check it out: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3016105/variegated-or-regular-common-vinca-minor?n=10. These pics were taken after the annual limbing-up this past spring. They drop a billion acorns also. This tree was about 3 feet tall when we moved into the house. Just warning you.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey Raestr, I don't mind you posting here, it's good to have people add to the discussion. Me and Joein moe, are kinda waiting on spring to have the most exciting ( hopefully) news to add to this thread/subject here. That would be the successful overwintering of the Live oak he sent me. Anyhoo, Raestr, My Live oak is likely going to not get as large as your will. Joe sent me a Q.M.L.O. (Quartz mountain Live Oak) an extra hardy Quercus Fusiformis Live oak. It grows in an extra brutal spot in the Quartz mountains in Oklahoma. If I got that part wrong Joe, sorry. It will ( likely) grow slower and not ever get as big as the regular Quercus Virginiana that you have. Rae, I would not care at all if there was nothing going to grow under my Live oak, anyway. I have an American Beech, that I expect the same from. I would actually be happy to not have to use ROUNDUP to kill what is growing under there. I do however have a couple oaks that I purposely plant shade perennials under. They are doing great for that, I have mostly just mulch under my trees The shade garden under my Rock Chestnut oak, (2 of them) and a few things under my Q. Velutina, (northern Black oak) is the extent to my shade gardening. Rae, in your Live oak pic in the vinca post, I can see that you want it so you can mow under it. I am sure you'll need to keep limbing it up, but, the tree isn't very big yet. I have 2 Pin oaks and I love the downward branches on it. I just remove the ends of the branches, I cut back to a small branch (or Pin)) on the tree and it is fine for a while. I have 3 acres, so I do not care about a huge oak. Maybe if you have a small yard I see your point about a huge tree, but, to be honest Rae, I wish my Live oak would live in my winters and get as large as your regular Southern Live oak. If I could I would trade you my Live oaks POTENTIAL mature size for yours. I have been to Florida a couple different times, and I love the Southern Live oaks in Webster Fl. And the others I have seen in Fl and Georgia. I think once you get your limbing up far enough up the tree, I am guessing up as far as the top of your head, or a foot or more, it should be a while before the limbs start coming down too far again. BTW, Rae, I have planted several Compton's oaks, which I THINK will get as big as the Southern Live oak. I love giant trees, you are lucky though, no oak, even one with half the genes (like Compton's oaks) will look exactly like a Southern Live oak.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey Joe, Well, It's 46F here now. It was 49F for a high here today. I can't say anything has changed with the Live oaks. I know it's too early to put on the pool noodle around the trunk. right? The tree may not get "cold ready" if I put it on too early? I haven't seen my forecast for the coming week yet, but, I don't expect much in the way of frigid temps yet. We are getting rain, the best amount 3 days ago. How's your temps Joe, likely still warm.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, BTW Joe, You mentioned signs that the L.O. is "hardening off", I do see some Burgundy coloring near the trunk where some branches join the stems. Is that what you meant in your above post? I haven't seen any yellow leaves yet. I can try to get a post of the leaves where they meet the twigs and trunk etc. Likely Sunday, MAYBE tommorrow eve, soon, anyways. later Joe

• raestr (z8 Central Ala)
    8 years ago

Poaky1, I guess the grass is always greener . . . The limbs on my tree are WAY over my head. I have literally climbed as far in the tree as I dare to trim it. I am trying to keep a decent shape, but it's hard because a limb I think will work out and grow upwards may end up turning downwards the following year. We've had to trim several so that they don't rub the roof of the house. I just prefer the habit of my shumard oak or a sawtooth oak. Those limbs grow upward and don't have leaves year round. I hope your tree makes it through the winter.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

raestr,

the Classic live oak that has its limbs grow towards the grown - love it. No other tree really does it.

I would love not to cut grass, I actually like a natural look but I do have grass.

As for acorns the wild life here uses it as food, but like Poaky said we have Quartz Mtn Live Oaks, they grow a lot slower than your type although ours grow much faster than in dry western Oklahoma.

Also other than southern magnolia there is no other tree that stays green through the winter here - so it's nice.

your live oak would die in our climate zones of 6b for Poaky and 6b / 7a for me.

but thanks for the input

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah Rae, the grass is always greener. I guess if we grew up with Southern Live oak, it would'nt be a big deal... well maybe it still would, because I love our hardy oaks too. The Southern live is really unique though, I gotta say. I hope that the Quartz Mountain Live gets through the winter and gets fairly large in my lifetime. The southern live gets wider than tall, and just gets such character, even when not so old yet. Also, the Compton's oak mentioned before is a hybrid of Southern Live oak and Overcup oak, and gets huge eventually. I also have a Cherrybark oak and the images of them online are impressive, they are said to grow fast also. I think the Quartz mt L.O. will take on the right form, but won't get so huge. I'll likely drape some (craft store) spanish moss on it once it gets some size to it. A little stupid but, kinda fun.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, BTW, Kyle I sent your trees today. I had to drop crotch one of them. The box was too small, the tree was too tall, and I got 2 boxes coming not just 1, the boxes were too narrow. They should come by Friday or Sat this week. I am sorry I trimmed about 2 ft from the top. The second box the post office gave me was taller, but maybe still too short for the biggest tree. Long story short next year in spring when growth begins on the trimmed one, if the top branch I left you after I trimmed back the top, doesn't become a leader, you will need to find a good leader to replace it. I was going to leave you a top branch that was longer, but not as straight, but some people get upset if their top verticle branch isn't straight, so I tried to leave you a mostly verticle one. I should've left you a longer leader, and if you found it too crooked, you could stake it until it is growing straight. The 2 I sent that are big grow fast, there is a small "Texas Live oak" Quercus Fusiformis that is in the same box as one of the "late drop" Live oaks. It is really small, about a foot. It should be hardier and grow slower than the "late drop" Live oaks I sent. There are 3 Live oaks total. Let me know you got this info Kyle. Just mention it here Kyle.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And Joe, last but not least. Today was hot to me 86F on my indoor/outdoor thermometer. I was sweating outside. I hope we get a couple more good days, I have some more work to do before winter. I will try and get a close up of the Q.M.L.O. leaves where they meet the branches.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    8 years ago

Appreciate it, Poaky. I will let you know when they arrive.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okie Dokie Kyle

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    8 years ago

Hey Poaky, I received the trees today. They were happily waiting for me when I got home today. They look great and will be going in the ground tomorrow morning. Again, thank you very much.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    8 years ago

Actually, they may just be going in pots till spring. What do you guys think? I know Joe had mentioned putting them in pots before in this thread.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Kyle - my recommendation being that it is out of it zone -plant in Spring, A bad cold snap will kill a Fusi so I think it needs to be established as long as possible

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Your welcome Kyle. After digging them up, they were kinda bareroot on the roots ends. Especially the Fusi, so small just one leader. Kyle, you likely know, but, I am being sure to remind you to put the potted up trees in an unheated garage or other sheltered place this winter.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kyle, your zip cold shows you to be in zone 7a, so you are likely going to do fine with all 3 Live oaks. I tried the US plant hardiness zone map to get your zone. But, you likely have had some colder than 7a winters for you to think you are zone 6b-7a.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Kyle if you do pot them for the winter remember to water them often they will suck the flower pots dry and if they do for long they will die

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    8 years ago

For the love of all that is holy, it's time to start thread #5!

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do agree, I will start it now. Poaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Awww I like these long threads lol