Interesting tree ...

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

here:

{{gwi:329036}}

Comments (14)

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

My first impression is that they look like sheared or pollarded Casuarina trees.
    They don't grow in my zone, but I've seen a lot of them in trips to Hawaii. Usually not sheared or pollarded unless growing in someone's yard. Found mostly on the beaches just above high tide.
    Do you have a name for it, Jujujojo?
    Mike

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I think you are right.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

I'm guessing an Ephedra species...

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Juju,
    Love your posts but wonder why you have to keep your whereabouts such a mystery! No Ephedra is that big...I don't think...but there are these freakishly giant Equisetum: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/species-of-the-day/evolution/equisetum-myriochaetum/

Probably a Casuarina although I couldn't rule out a rare unknown-to-the-west Tamarix looking like that too.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Davidrt, I don't think Snasxs's...I mean Jujujojo's location is pertinent at least to this post. The location where the picture is taken (if known) would be helpful though.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"Davidrt, I don't think Snasxs's...I mean Jujujojo's location is pertinent at least to this post. The location where the picture is taken (if known) would be helpful though."

I'm confused...are you contradicting yourself on purpose? By location, of course I meant where the pictures are taken. I don't need to know the street address where a poster is domiciled! In fairness Jujujojo has recently given some general whereabout on recent posts. But often we are left wondering where in the vast reaches of China (or somewhere else in Asia) we are seeing a plant. But I do appreciate his/her posts regardless.
    Yes in the case obviously whether this is a climate mild enough for say, Casuarinas would help us determine what that is.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 17:50

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Oh, I thought you literally meant, "...wonder why you have to keep your whereabouts such a mystery!" I doubt Snasxs's...I mean Jujujojo was the one that took the picture. But, I agree that a location of the picture, when know, would be useful/informative.

I'd guess the one above was taken at some botanical garden somewhere. That looks like a nice conservatory in the background!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pictures are taken in Southern China. Sorry, I forget to add this sentence this time.

We can also witness how angry Brandon really is.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 18:06

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Juju, I don't think anyone is angry. Southern China is many thousands of square kilometers. Can you be a little more specific? A province at least?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Snasxs's...I mean Jujujojo, why do you think someone is angry? I wouldn't get angry at you just because you didn't know where a picture was taken! I don't even get angry that you won't tell where you got the picture from (although sometimes I am curious).

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

brandon, this is not the first time you claim I am snasxs. I am not. Can you tell everyone why you care that much? You obviously have been repeating this like you have lost it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I just can't help from getting you two mixed up. I mean it's as if you two were identical (and I do mean identical) twins! You aren't angry are you? It's just so hard to tell you apart!

So, do you have any idea where the picture was taken at?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brandon, if I tell you now, I am encouraging your behavior.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, Brandon, to prevent you from frustration ... this is in Guangdong Province.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource