Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caltex03

Rising Sun and Burgandy Hearts Redbuds

caltex03
11 years ago

Does anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area has a Rising Sun and/or Burgandy Hearts Redbuds in their yard? I have been reading a lot on these two trees and I am considering buying one of each; however, I'm wondering if they do well in our alkaline soil and Texas heat. My understanding is that redbuds don't do well in full sun.

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i am surely not in TX ... MI in fact ....

but they are an UNDERSTORY tree.. that TOLERATES shade ..

in MI.. they do just fine in full sun ... and grow very fast in sun ... once FULLY established ... [all tree transplants need water TLC for about 2 years]

that would be the plain old green ones ...

others will have to discuss your off color ones.. in TX

ken

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

You've been to Metro Maples, haven't you? They happen to have both of them. According to MM, they do best with morning sun/dabbled sun. Avoid full afternoon sun.

Traveller's would be best for sunny condition if you want a weeping redbud. I've seen them at several nurseries but I forget which one.

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

You might give 'Merlot' redbud a google search. It should do considerably better in your climate than many c. canadensis cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brief summary of 'Merlot'

11 years ago

when dealing with anything with OTHER THAN GREEN leaves...

the fallback is always.. afternoon shade ..

and if they would simply say it this way.. it would be so much easier to understand:

leaves other than green require shade.. because they sunburn ... so the pf lotion to not sunburn.. is to get them shade in the afternoon..

this is also complicated by not being able to pump enough water in the high heat of the day making them sunburn faster .. and shade helps water movement within the plant ... and water management in the soil ...

make sense???

and the high heat of the day.. is when the heat is high.. not necessarily noon ... [of course you are TX.. its probably blistering at dawn.. lol] ....

ken

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

Ken, your generalization is not necessarily true with 'Merlot'. It is touted as full sun and was in a McAlester botanic garden video brandon7 posted some time ago in full sun doing quite well (it had a fantastic growth spurt on the current season growth if I recall correctly). I will see if I can find it later...

John

ps - caltex, check out the whole video for some choices that are doing well in very similar growing conditions to you :) (McAlester, OK is a very similar climate to DFW)

pps - 'Rising Sun' is at 4:38 in the video

ppps - 'Merlot' starts at 1:30 in the video

Here is a link that might be useful: McAlester Arboretum

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 12:26

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Most the purple (if thats what you want to call it) require closer to full sun to help bring out a more rich color.

• caltex03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your information. It's been very helpful.

John, thanks for posting the link for McAlester Arboretum.

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

Not familiar with the varieties mentioned, but we typically plant ~100 Redbuds yearly, either standard or Tx. Redbud at Gov/t facilities at Killeen, Tx. They are actually very heat and drought resistant. Have had them survive when standard oaks, elms, etc. die. They are planted in full brutal Tx. Z8 sun. Particularly like them for the small parking lot islands.
    This surprised me when I first moved out here because I considered them an understory tree that needed protection and moist conditions.

11 years ago

considered them an understory tree that needed protection and moist conditions.

==>> SEE!!!! .. that is what i was talking about.. maybe?? .. lol .. making presumptions ... its perhaps.. NOT that they NEED it.. but they tolerate it ... which is which ...

and MANY times soil under a high canopy.. can be very very dry ... the large trees super competing for available water ...

just dont make presumptions ...

and do note.. NO transplant is drought proof.. until it is fully established.. and depending on the size planted.. it will require at least a couple year of PROPER WATERING ... from the planter ...

good luck

ken