Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
want barrier to prevent cats from scratching tree

Posted by tropical_thought San Francisco (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 9:33

I am looking for a barrier to prevent cats from scratching a small thin ginkgo tree. I had some some thin netting, but keeps slipping to the ground. I want something that is big and strong and I don't care if it looks ugly. I googled this but I only got adds for cat scratching posts and cat trees. What really works good? I may have problems bending a wire thing unless it was like premade with a opening that I could close. The cats climb this tree but also scratch it. They have a scratching post, but like the tree better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: want barrier to prevent cats from scratching tree

chicken wire.. very loose ... it does not need to be snug ...

something like at the link ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I put a circle about 2' high of welded wire around mine in the yard as rabbit protection. It also keeps the cat away as it likes to scratch on my only large cedar elm (15' and growing). One free source of this wire is the silt fences at construction site when they are removing the silt fencing, as this is usually just thrown away at the end of the project.

o

It does not have to be free. I am going to look at home depot, I hope I find one I can bend myself. I am very weak in the hands and over all. I have to do something asap, or the tree is going to have no bark left. Plastic would be ok, if I can find a plastic tree guard.

o

if you cant bend chicken wire.. then you cant close a bread bag with a twist tie ...

dont forget cutters if you need them... strong scissors will nearly do chicken wire [but not your good pair] ... you will need heavy cutters for fencing ... relatively speaking ...

are you sure its cat ... and not some of the other nocturnal animals ... raccoon.. anything that climbs can also sharpen their claws .... though the remedy does not change ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here