Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivan123_gw

English Oak Wanted or Alternative Indigenous in South Africa

Ivan123
10 years ago

Hi,

I have 22 Oak trees in a lane and need 10 to fill up the ones that have died. The trees are 20 - 30 years old I think and I have contacted a lot of nurseries in South Africa but to no avail.

Or is there an alternative indigenous species that will fit in with the oaks.

Regards
Ivan

Comments (6)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Can you grow new once from acorns of the 22? Oaks grown from acorns planted in place are going to be far healthier and long-lived than anything you can buy. The trade-off is of course they take time to grow.

A good question is, why did the 10 die off? It could be that the remaining 22 will suffer the same fate.

Honestly though South Africa is home to a truly astounding range of native plants and trees that are considered choice by gardeners all over the planet--if it was me, I'd consult with a knowledgeable local horticulturalist as to what he or she thinks would work. South Africa has many different climates and you need something appropriate to your particular location.

Podocarpus is just one glorious genus to consider.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Climate is the biggest unknown here....it's probably the reason you lost the oaks in the first place.

Are you in a summer wet or winter wet area. What are the minimum winter temperatures (& average)? What are your summer temperatures like?

• Ivan123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

Yes we have beautiful indigenous trees in South Africa to choose from. We purchased the property 7 years ago and they were already dead by then, pity I did not plant replacement trees immediately. We are on the Highveld, "Highfield" region of South Africa which is not ideal but there are huge Pin Oaks and English Oak growing in other gardens. The Highveld is +-5800 feet above sea level, summer rainfall, cold icy winter mornings not the Oak trees natural habitat. We also have winter grass fires due to the dry weather in winter, and this is what killed them as our 10 acre property was overgrown. The previous owner stopped the project in 1985 but left an established garden. We are also blessed with huge Acacia Caffras and Karoo types. Also there are invasive species like the Eucalyptus and wattles.

I would like to replace them as it is a lane and I would like to continue with the uniform look.

Thank you for the advice.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I would like to replace them as it is a lane and I would like to continue with the uniform look.

Since there are healthy oaks already in your area, and since you want a uniform look, then if it was me, I'd keep patiently looking for oaks to buy, and in the meantime look around my property for seedlings to transplant or acorns to plant as a back up (and for future spares, in case you lose any more) Perhaps they are out of stock at your local suppliers just now due to it being the wrong season?

• Oakseed1
    10 years ago

I have stratified English Oak acorns that were gathered last fall. Don't know about sending them to South Africa; there may be regulations (prohibitions) regarding the import of seeds from abroad. As you probably know, English Oaks were used for ship building in Europe before steel; there are English Oaks in England that are over 1,000 years old.

• widdringtonia
    10 years ago

What nurseries have you tried?

My two favourites in the north and west of Johannesburg are Garden World out in Honeydew, and Lifestyle in Randpark Ridge. Gardenshop in Bryanston isn't bad either. For natives, there's Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens in Little Falls. And at one time the Botanical Gardens in Pretoria had a nice nursery too. And years and years ago there was an amazing indigenous plant nursery just off Witkoppen Rd in Paulshof, but I have no idea if it still exists.

There are some wonderful natives that you could use instead of the oaks. And I say that as someone who plants an oak in every garden I've ever grown. Even if it's a bonsai.