Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Diamond Hydrangea Tree

Posted by ceeview none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 10:16

Hello,
I have a Pink Diamond Hydrangea tree that was planted in 2006. When I received it, it was about 3'-4' tall. It blooms every year but what I don't understand is why it doesn't get any taller. It is no more than 5' tall if that and I just don't understand it. It's get sun and it's fertilized.....any suggestions? When it was purchased, I was under the impression that it was supposed to get to a mature height of at least 15' high! This April it would have been planted for 8 years! I can say that I've never pruned it but I didn't know that I needed to. I'm also in CT but that shouldn't have anything to do with it because it blooms....very beautiful!
Thank You,
Cynthia

P.S. I read an article that talked about 'winter' fertilizing trees but I didn't know that was a best practice. I always thought fertilizing was done in the spring and summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Diamond Hydrangea Tree

Pink Diamond is a cultivar of Hydrangea paniculata and is a shrub rather than a tree. (Let's not restart the discussion on the difference between the two - I think most people understand what it means in common parlance). I have had a quick Google and in the first 5 hits the mature height was given as a max of 3m (ca 10 feet). Some sources give the mature height as 2.5m. I think you have been labouring under a misapprehension as to what this shrub will look like when fully grown. Yours sounds as if it is behaving exactly as it should.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Diamond

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 18:18

Might have been bought grown on a single stem, therefore "tree". Should be building height over time, although stems will tend to bend over.

o

Thanks to all for your comments. Yes...there obviously has been some misrepresentation from the vendor. When it was purchased, it was stated that the mature height was anywhere between 10'-15' in 6 to 7 years.

CeeView

o

there obviously has been some misrepresentation from the vendor.

===>>>

maybe.. maybe not.. if he is in a more temperate location.. as compared to CT.. then maybe it has greater potential down south ...

if your growing season is 5 months.. and his is 8 months.. you should be able to see that his trees can grow larger than your trees ...

ken

o

The vendor was Cottage Farms. This was not purchased as a shrub but as a tree. What I'm seeing that they're selling now is the Limelight and the Quickfire Hydrangea tree. These as well are supposed to get to a mature height of 8' - 10'.

Thanks,
CeeView

o

Tree form may be a better description - relating to a plant grown with a single stem - as these plants are considered shrubs rather than trees. I have a number of hydrangea paniculata that I've grown into a tree form with the tallest being about 7 foot tall in mid summer growth - but I prune mine back every spring so I'm keeping them short. If not pruned annually, I would think the stems would be very prone to breaking. My experience with Pink Diamond is that it's a very vigorous grower with annual stem growth at least 3 foot.

I see the same form with physocarpus opulifolius - Ninebark - being offered - especially Diablo.

Marshall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here