Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado tree leaves are dead on branches

Posted by leslie.parker 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 10:38

We have a dwarf Haas avocado that we planted out in the yard as a puppy in march of 2005. It was growing well and healthy; gave us one good round of fruit in 2009. Last year we only got 1 avocado - just 1!

We had very heavy rain this fall/winter and now the leaves are turning brown, but not falling from the tree. It looks as if it's just dying branch by branch. We have heavy clay soil and we haven't watered it at all since the rains.

Note: we have a stack of firewood about 2 feet from the tree behind a lattice fence, covered in a plastic tarp. I also have a small teardrop tomato plant in a pot about 4 feet away which has since died off.

Could it be termites or something related to the firewood? Could it be related to some bugs from the tomato? Or - is it just drowning?

I have photos and will try to post them...I'm new to this site.

Thanks for any advice. (We are just sick about losing this tree...it was a gift when my father died.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado tree leaves are dead on branches

Avocados are susceptible to a variety of root rots and require exceptional drainage. With your clay soil and excessive amount of rainfall this winter, I'd suspect that poor drainage is the culprit.

o

Me three, but fotos may confirm improper planting as well. Anyone down there can go inland a bit and see that most of the groves remaining are on hillsides. For a reason.

Dan

o

you will need a photo hosting site like photobucket.com to post pix ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here