Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young oak tree support removal & another question

Posted by mdameron Fort Worth, TX (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 11:01

I have two oaks in my front yard and am wondering when the supports for them can be removed. I hate the look of the supports but it won't kill me to let them stay longer if they need it. They are 2 months short of 2 years old.

The link below goes to a picture of each of the 2 trees, along with 3 pictures of some bark damage to one of the trees that occurred last year during the windiest storm of the year. I was wondering if it is anything to worry about or if there is anything I should do about it.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Skydrive Album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young oak tree support removal & another question

The supports should have been removed a year ago, even IF they were ever really needed in the first place.

o

the slack lines indicate it is doing nothing ...

it was a large transplant.. and it was done to insure it remained upright ... and after 2 years.. it should be all set ...

the wounds at your pix are healing.. i would ignore them ... though i wight flake off some of the bark toward the interior of the wound.. to insure there are not bugs in there ... do NOT further injure the callousing .... if that is the right term ...

its getting near time.. to raise that canopy a bit ... so peeps on the sidewalk can walk by w/o injury ... i dont know about the timing of such for your oak.. in your area ...

ken

o

Thanks for the post. I'm not sure why I didn't get an email, but I'm glad I decided to check to see if anyone commented on the injury of the oak.

I removed the supports and will just leave the wound alone. As far as raising the canopy, where can I find out when the appropriate time is? And is it just a matter of cutting off anything lower than 6' or so? It would be nice to be able to mow around them easier.

Good riddance to the supports!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here