Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter burn on pine trees

Posted by pinballer3 5a Denver (Brighton) (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 11:32

I planted some Austrian pine trees last Spring and some of the newer pine needles have now turned brown at the top of the tree( not the older ones that drop naturally). I suspect this is due to the tree's inability to move moisture into the upper branches since the root system has not fully recovered yet. Anything that could or should be done for these trees this Spring to overcome this condition?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter burn on pine trees

Nope. Just let them go and when you shovel snow try to pile some near the trees.

Dan

o
RE: Winter burn on pine trees

pines are conifers.. and there is a conifer forum... where this has been addressed many times... but i dont care where you post ...

burn is a function of winter temps... and wind burn .... aggravated by winter sun ...

it is VERY NORMAL in recent transplants ... and stressed plants.. and plants that are not fully established ...

new growth will not be affected .. all pines shed their needles.. sooner or later ....

so... what dan said ...

the only thing you might have done.. was to give it a thorough deep drink in late fall.. so that it went into winter with proper water levels.. especially if drought was an issue last summer ...

water it properly all this year .... especially this fall

do you know how to properly water it???

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here