Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwood Tree Layering - When to cut & transplant?

Posted by love_savannah 9-GA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 11:35

Last summer I used the layering method on 2 suckers on our Dogwood Tree. It appears that both attempts were successful. They're only about 12 inches high.

My question is when should I cut them away from the mother tree and transplant them? Also, I'd prefer to plant them in pots until they become larger. Is this a bad idea?

Has anyone used this method of propagation for Dogwood Trees. I was just wondering what to expect down the road. Thanks in advance.

Bon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwood Tree Layering - When to cut & transplant?

Air or ground layering? What spp.? How extensive are the roots? Do you have secondary roots?

Dan

o

Dan, it was ground layering. I dug a shallow trench for each sucker, gently bent them over and down into their respective holes, covered them with soil and placed a block of wood on top. They were watered there twice a week with the underground sprinkler system.

It's a white dogwood tree, that's all I know. They're very common here in Georgia.

I haven't dug them up yet as I didn't want to disturb them until it was time to transplant them. I just pulled on them to see if they had roots. Since they resisted, I'm assuming there are roots down there.

When you say secondary roots, what exactly do you mean? Should I go dig them up to check out the root system and then recover them?

Thanks for your help, Dan. I appreciate it.

PS
Last year I attempted air layering our Bloodgood Japanese Maple. I messed that up big time!

o

Secondary roots are tiny fibrous roots. Some dogwoods layer well, others don't. You want to cut and transplant-pot in dormancy. Gently pull back soil and if you see lots of tiny hair-like roots, you're good. This method has been used for centuries, esp in the orchard trade in the past.

Dan

o

Thank you so much, Dan. It's supposed to be nice again tomorrow. I'm going out there in hopes of finding lots of tiny, hair-like roots. If so, I'm going to try this with the other 2 suckers that I left standing.

Thanks again, you're a peach!

Bon

o

:o)

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here