Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lagerstroemia indica (Red Rocket Crape Myrtle)

Posted by Emund Michigan-6a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 11:37

Hello. I'm a long-time reader, but new poster--and in need of some good advice.

In our upward slopping, south facing backyard, we have a modestly moist section from a small natural spring. From my research and desire to plant a flowering tree that doesn't get too tall, I'm interested in the Red Rocket Crape Myrtle. I know that most crape myrtles need hardiness zone 7 or higher. However, I've read that the red rocket was engineered to handle zone 6--we are in zone 6a in Southeast Michigan. BUT, there are a couple of websites that say zone 7 for this tree. Can anyone please provide me with your insights and/or experience with this tree in zone 6. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lagerstroemia indica (Red Rocket Crape Myrtle)

It'll die back to the ground but resprout in the spring (possible early summer). Crape myrtles don't begin to leaf out until temperatures at night are in the upper 60s and 70s. The question is, will the tree have time to grow back to where its significant enough to take the time for before the next frost kills it to the ground again? I'd recommend growing one in a large pot and brining it in during winter. Heading off the leader so it does not grow too large to bring in.

I've heard stories of them growing in NYC, so microclimates are important. The retained heat from the city concrete allows then to survive winter.

o

Climate zones notwithstanding, crape myrtles don't like their feet wet. You want a tree that is adapted to that much water.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 16:40

If damp Magnolia virginiana is an obvious choice, if climate and soil (it does not like alkaline) otherwise suitable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here