Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper Beech tree

Posted by versatilegardener 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 12:49

Does anyone know if the copper Beech will grow in zone 8?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper Beech tree

What sort of zone 8?

It does perfectly well in oceanic zone 8 in Britain (cool summers), but might not in continental zone 8 climates with hot summers.

Resin

o

You mean you couldn't answer their question just from the number 8? What's wrong with you? ☺

Is copper beech another name for American Beech or European beech?

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 20:26

Copper Beech is a European beech with copper color leaves. That form seems very rare in the states as most forms sold in the US are cultivars chosen for purple or yellow leaf color, leaf shape or tree form. It is my understanding that the copper color leaf forms come true from seed. It would be nice to hear from Resin on that though.

David

o

Oh that's right. Dawyk's Copper?

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 23:32

There are giant old copper beeches scattered around out here in the west. But nurseries tend to sell grafted purple ones with cultivar names nowadays.

Names like 'Dawyck Purple' (syn. 'Dawyck Red').

"F. sylvatica f. purpurea (Ait.) Schneid.
= F. sylvatica 'Atropunicea' or 'Atropurpurea'

COPPER BEECH. PURPLE BEECH. Originated <1680 at Buch, near Zurich, Switzerland. Date of introduction into North America not known. Thomas Jefferson planted one or more at Monticello sometime between 1801 and 1809. Maybe they failed. Andre Parmentier introduced it <1830 near Brooklyn, NY. Common in cultivation. Comes more or less true from seed, and darker purple clones have in turn been named (e.g.: 'Riversii', 'Spaethiana', 'Swat Magret'). Paler seedlings have been sold as COPPER BEECHES ('Cuprea'). They grow every bit as large as the typical green BEECHES, and are just as common in cultivation"

--Jacobson, NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES (1996, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley)

o

"Copper Beech is a European beech with copper color leaves. That form seems very rare in the states as most forms sold in the US are cultivars chosen for purple or yellow leaf color"

Copper Beech is an overall name for all cultivars of European Beech with reddish to purple leaves (due to high anthocyanin levels in the tissues). As Bboy points out, there are numerous named cultivars available (and many additional un-named seedling-grown clones too).

Resin

o

I've heard of purple beeches before but I didn't realize that was the same as copper beech. I don't quite understand why one would call purple leaves copper when purple and copper are two distinct colors.

o

Because the leaf color is quite variable depending on the selection and the amount of anothocyan pigmentation. A true 'copper' beech - what used to be known as Fagus sylvatica 'Cuprea' - has distinctly reddish-copperish colored foliage compared to the purple leaf forms, especially when backlit. There's some outstanding older examples of this planted locally.

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 1, 09 at 8:23

Locally the only copper colored beech I have seen have been small seedlings. All others have been named selections even in places like Spring Grove Cemetary and Dawes Arboretum. Once I saw the seedlings with the copper color leaves it was clear how they got their name. I am also surprised they are not planted more locally as they are very attractive plants.

Does anyone know if the copper color holds well or does it fade to green as some of the purple selections do?

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 1, 09 at 12:41

The less purple in spring, the more green later. Even in our cool climate the frequently offered 'Purpurea Tricolor' ('Tricolor' misapplied) usually turns a less pleasing bronze in summer, a sort of giant paper bag with pink highlights.

o

"I don't quite understand why one would call purple leaves copper when purple and copper are two distinct colors"

Because the two grade into each other in the numerous different cultivars. The first cultivars selected were copper-coloured, and got the name Copper Beech; slowly, subsequent selection found steadily slightly more intense purple new clones. There was never a clean break between copper-coloured and purple-coloured clones, so never an easy point to decide to call some 'purple'.

Resin

o

I actually have one on my property planted in 1865. Found this out after some ladies were on a family pilgrimage just after I purchased the property. over 17' circumference. Huge tree, anyone that comes here comments on it.

o

what .. no picture????

you are a tease

ken

o

anyone who has been to britain knows how different is a true copper beech from the purple ones you see (rarely) here in the US.

I have absolutely no clue as to why people here seem to prefer the darker purple ones. There is hardly anything as awe inspiring as a giant copper beech against the sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: A picture here from a jaw-dropping specimen in Bristol, UK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here