Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Budding

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 12:58

What is the purpose/advantage of grafting a bud versus a scion?

At first I was told budding was differeint than grafting but budding is simply a grafting technique.

Can't seem to readily find my answer figured someone here would know off hand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Budding

I don't specifically know the answer, but I believe it is due to the fact that a scion will yield at most one grafted plant. While the same scion may have 6-10 buds, and therefore 6-10 potential grafted plants. Even if you have an additional 20% failure rate, bud grafting would produce many more grafted plants.

Arktrees

o

In many cases, the percentage of successful takes is higher with budding than with many other types of grafting. Budding can require less time than other techniques (and is actually easier than many grafting techniques). A wider variety of branch sizes can be used, and, as Arktrees said, there is more graftable material available for budding. Bud grafts are less susceptible to mechanical damage.

o

With your typical fruit tree grafting a scion of dormant wood is used and grafted onto a plant has recently broken dormancy. With budding a shield with a single bud is cut from actively growing material and leaves removed. It is then grafted to an actively growing plant. Budding can be a nice 2nd chance if you didn't have a take when bench grafting.

o

In general, the timing for bud grafting is more critical. T-budding, the most common technique, requires that the bark "slip"where the bud is to be inserted. Determining when this will happen requires a certain amount of experience as it can vary considerably from species to species abd year to year.

o

I'll bet the timing issue may have something to do with some people considering budding more challenging. Of course other grafting techniques also have timing issues, maybe just not as critical.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 22:00

All, thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here