Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Place to Buy Crabapple Trees

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 13:16

I want some Radiant crabapple trees. Who is the best company to order from? They are not sold in my area.
Thanks.....
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Place to Buy Crabapple Trees

see link.. but beware of tyty .. the first link ... i dont think they have a great reputation ... check watchdog sites for such

if its already heating up down your way.. you may have missed prime planting time ...

insure you are getting fully dormant trees in the mail ... and pay attention to size ... size vs price is important ...

i would be looking for 3 foot whips ...

and do come back and we can teach you how to plant them ...

they are technically a fruit tree.. so you might want to check fruit tree sellers also ...

and do make sure they are disease resistant.. i dont have time to check if they are

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Woodstock Nursery www.wallace-woodstock.com/catalog.htm currently offers that cultivar via mail-order. In a really brief search, they are the only retail mail-order source I saw that currently had it in stock. I checked their Garden Watchdog rating and it was not good.

I didn't check TyTy or Willis, because I would never dream of ordering anything from them anyway. Their reputation is worse than not great...it's abysmal. TyTy had such bad ratings on Garden Watchdog, that they threatened to sue Dave's to get their listing removed. Dave's finally kind of gave up, removed their feedback ratings, but left a note that should be enough to at least raise a red flag for anyone searching there.

There are numerous wholesalers that offer 'Radiant'. The cultivar should be generally available just about anywhere in the US that it will grow. Crabapples have fallen somewhat out of favor in the retail nursery business, but high-end nurseries special order stuff like this all the time for customers.

o

Thanks so much for the help - good to know what sellers to avoid. I have seen a couple of these trees blooming and they are show stoppers - there is one in Rusk, Tx that my gardening friends and I always plan a trip to Tyler so we can go by and see that tree in bloom. Would love to find a reputable source for them. I am not ordering from a company with low ratings. There is a nursery in Tyler that has a good selection of trees - I check them every year to see if they have this one - maybe I will luck out. Or maybe my local nursery might be able to order it, I will check. If I find one, I would certainly love some advice on planting it. Thanks!!
Judith

o

Below is a link that I hope will answer any planting questions you have. It doesn't have a lot of pretty artwork, but the information is there (I hope). If you have any questions about planting a tree, after you read it, PLEASE let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby, you might check there. There were at least a dozen at mine this afternoon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here