Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatlard

Asian Pear.. Best place to buy?

fatlard
16 years ago

Hello Everyone.

I really enjoy asian pears.. I like to grow some in our yard.. do you know where is the best place to order one?

Comments (15)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Do you know what variety and rootstock you want? If not, you may want to do a little homework before jumping into buying something. You will especially want to look at disease resistance (particularly fireblight) and hardiness to your area. You can buy an asian pear at your local big box store, but if you want one to last and produce good fruit, you will have to do the research. Below is a link to a listing of possible sources. The list is a little out of date, but with some searching, you will be able to find your answers. I have a more up to date list at home and will try to remember to post it if I get a chance, but for now, the link below will give you somewhere to start. There are many good sources listed. Always check Garden Watchdog (as recommended at the top of the list), before ordering from any nursery/supplier. Garden Watchdog will help you determine if the source is reputable.

Here is a link that might be useful: NAFEX Nursery/Supply Source Lists

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

By the way, just in case you don't already know about TyTy or Aaron's Nursery (the same company), DON'T buy from them. They will come up as a source for almost any variety you google. When you order, you will get dead sticks or, if you are very lucky, a pear tree that won't be what you ordered. TyTy is pretty well know by most as THE scam artists of the nursery business. They had such a horrid reputation that they were removed from Garden Watchdog (long story), so you wouldn't find them listed there if you tried to check them out.

• fatlard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks brandon7!

I will definitely look for one at the places you recommended!

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

Wow, I never knew they were readily available here. I love eating those things. As kids we called them Papples. hehe.

• fatlard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay. I think I got it.

I am going to get two asian pear trees from Burnt Ridge for $50 shipped.

HOSUI and SHINSEIKI

The Shinseiki is self pollinating and will pollinate the Hosui.

These trees are grafted on O.H.F. X 513 semi-dwarf rootstock. They are hardy to minus 25F.

What do you guys think?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I hope you don't have much problem with fireblight in your area. Shinseiki is rated as very susceptible, and although Burnt Ridge rates Hosui as resistant, many other sources rate it is susceptible. I would much rather have trees with some disease resistance like Shinko, etc. I'm too lazy to spend lots of time spraying and pruning out fireblight infected limbs, and diseased and dead trees don't produce much fruit. The rootstock should work well.

• mckenna
    16 years ago

Also try
    http://www.treesofantiquity.com/

and maybe ask this organization

http://www.midfex.org/.

Bill

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

TyTy... I had not heard of them, I am glad I know now to avoid them when I come across it. Thanks.

• fatlard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I decided to buy something else besides the hosui and the shinskei.

I bought the korean pear and the shinko instead. They should cross pollinate. right?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

"Korean pear" is synonymous with "Asian pear". Both are names for Pyrus pyrifolia. Which one did you buy?

• fatlard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry. I meant to say.

KOREAN GIANT ASIAN PEAR (a.k.a. Don Bae)(Pyrus pyrifolia)

and

SHINKO ASIAN PEAR (Pyrus pyrifolia)

from Burnt Ridge

Thanks for all your help brandon7

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I think you should have good luck with those varieties. Korean Giant has been reported both tolerant and suseptable to fireblight, but it seems like the places that had a problem are usually much warmer areas. So I think you are likely to be OK.

• jakejones
    16 years ago

I have ordered 2 or 3 times from One Green World. Every tree has grown great and they have a good selection of new cultivars.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I haven't ordered from One Green World. They do seem to have a really impressive selection of fruiting plants. But, they do have a number of complaints on the web. Nothing like TyTy, but enough to make me think I wouldn't want to place a huge order with them. From what I've read, it seems like their biggest problems are a little inconsistency in quality and frequent poor customer service IF/WHEN there is a problem.