Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confusion on fertilizing fruit trees in Zone 5

Posted by ninam z5Oh (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 14:03

I have read many -too many articles about when I should give my fruit trees nitrogen in the spring. I do try to find out for which areas the information is written. Even for those in my area the articles often state that the end of Feb, or early March are when I should fertilize. However, I have also read many times that Ammonium Sulfate does not work well under 60 degrees and can actually cause problems in lower temps. This is really conflicting since March is usually cold and even if air was slightly above freezing and the buds are swelling, the ground does not warm up as fast. So - when should I fertilize?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confusion on fertilizing fruit trees in Zone 5

Just spread a thin layer of compost or horse manure around the trunk out to the drip line....that is all you need. I stay away from all the synthetic nitrogen/chemical garbage....I have saved alot of money over the years.

This post was edited by greenthumbzdude on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 14:23

o

The OH Extension is very good, and likely have publications for anything you can think of.

o

and i am sure the peeps in the fruit forum would have their own methods..

have you ever had a soil test done.. to determine if your soil is lacking that which you are thinking of adding????

and.. if you fruit trees are in the middle of a lawn that is otherwise fertilized.. they will get more than enough of what they need.. rather than you doubling or tripling such ...

trees are NOT children.. they do not need to be fed.. but if you insist.. at least figure out what they need.. rather than guessing ....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here