Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning questions

Posted by ugabulldog none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 14:05

I need help with pruning trees please. They were purchased this yr from a nursery as 4'-5' standard bare root trees, then shipped to me. Branches were already cut some on all trees when they arrived (not sure if this was for easier shipping or what as you had to pay extra to have trees pruned at nursery.) We did pay extra to have both cherry trees pruned but not the apples. I have looked at pruning instructions etc and am still confused (probaly more so because I don't see the reason for the nursery pruning or not pruning, the cherry trees the way they did?) Any help is much appreciated. ps. we did buy from what was supposed to be a very reputable nursery.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/582397289UcnJvE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning questions

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 14:20

Sounds like orchard fruits, try the GW fruit forum.

o

I think I would have asked for credit on the two cherry trees. Their form is pitiful from what I can see in the pictures. The double leader issue needs to be addressed (one leader removed). The crotch angles on some of the apple tree limbs should also be addressed this spring. I like the limb spreaders from Treeform Products (I think I've been buying them through Peach Ridge Orchard Supply). Increasing the crotch angles improves crotch strength and can help control growth of temporary and scaffold branches. Without being there, it's a little hard to tell, but I think the large branch (top branch) on apple #1 needs to be trimmed way back or even removed. I'd just remove it completely at this point.

You do need to start learning how to prune, and you need to start training/correcting crotch angles, but you don't need to do much pruning at this point on the apple trees. I would leave everything except may that one branch I mentioned earlier, at this point. Removing more than that will only rob your tree of resources it needs to get established and grow. Pruning at, or right after, planting is "old school" and has largely been shown to be detrimental in most cases.

Where'd you get these trees from? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it was from a less-reputable supplier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limb Spreaders at Peach Ridge Orchard Supply

o

i can tell you.. right here.. two things.. maybe more...

we do not prune newly planted trees ... but maybe fruit peeps do .. think as every single leaf as a food making machine.. to grow the roots needed to produce fruit in 2 or 3 years ... MAYBE in fall.. except for damaged or crossing branches ...

and it looks to me like that cherry tree is too deep.. you need the trunk/root flare at ground level ... but that grass may be an optical illusion ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here