Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usacutie81

What is a good shade tree?

usacutie81
12 years ago

Hi everyone! This will be my first ever post, and I have a question for you. We are putting in a big playground for the kids and I'd like to plant a tree at the corner that will eventually grow up to shade the entire area. Obviously something fast growing would be preferable, but I want it to be sturdy also. I'd love it to be a "climbable" tree as well, something the kids can play on when it gets big enough, so a few low hanging branches would be great.

Any ideas? I've never picked out a tree before so I haven't the first clue what to look for. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (33)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Maybe silver linden will grow there.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

hi cutie.. welcome..

been there.. dreamed that.. and most 'good' trees ... will still be growing.. by the time the kids are gone ...

and you will be cutting down the fast growing trees.. by the time the kids do leave ...

i put my jungle gym up under an all ready existing tree ...

besides all that.. i prefer oak ... though it would be nice to know where you are ...

ken

• aspenacres
    12 years ago

I agree with oak. Although maples can also be good climbing trees as well as many others. When I was growing up we had dozens of fruit trees we'd climb but that was all we had. We's get to the top and eat an apple off the tree.

• usacutie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, sorry guys! We are in the St. Louis area, I put "5 or 6" because our zone changes depending on what map you look at. Basically we get hot hot summers and decently cold winters with some snow.

We just bought this house and plan to live here around 15-18 years. Our son is only 3 so he won't really grow into the playground for a few years, giving us that much time to get the tree going.

• aspenacres
    12 years ago

From what I could find St. Louis is a zone 6a. I'd go with something a bit hardier than that though just to be safe.

• scotjute Z8
    12 years ago

Northern Catalpa.

• usacutie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Northern Catalpa looks good, nice and big and good for shade. Can I ask why you recommend it over an oak tree, though? Does it grow faster?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Welcome aboard usacutie,

I am in st louis also. For fastest growth plant a tree which is also hardy to zone5 (which we are not). While trees like Magnolia Grandiflora (did I spell that right on the cell?) do grow here they are not like the ones planted down south.

Far as oaks vs catalpa goes, I know of a stretch off Shackleford/Howdershell in far north StLouis county where the pin oaks just suffer. Soo many have yellow leaves most of the summer. I guess chlorosis or some soil problem. If you aren't there both look great.

One of my favorite oaks is Bur Oak. Wide, seems to like branching low. It is not the fastest though.

Here is a link that might be useful: hort.uconn.edu

• aspenacres
    12 years ago

Northern Catalpas smell good too in the spring. They get long seed pods and big leaves so the kids should find they like the catalpa. All those options sound good.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Northern catalpa is very coarse with a small number of large branches, which tend to angle up. I think my suggestion would work much better, if it grows in your area.

• usacutie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bboy, I just looked up the silver linden (must've missed your post the first time)! It is a beautiful tree, I looooove it! My only concern is that I read it prefers moist soil and is only moderately drought tolerant... we get pretty dry summers here, does that mean I would need to water it?

The Bur Oak also mentions preferring moist soil... is that just typical of all trees? At least, all giant shade-type trees?

I will check with the local nursery this week and see if they have any of the trees you all suggested. So far my favorite as far as looks is the Silver Linden. It also doesn't hurt that it is supposed to grow fairly quickly!

• poaky1
    12 years ago

You may have decided on the Linden, but Red oak or black oak are another sugestion, chestnut oak takes to drought good after established and grows fast. They are hardy too.

• Mike Larkin
    12 years ago

I tend to agree with Ken on this one, but thought I would list my choice. I planted this about 15 yrs ago, it was skinny 5ft tree from Lowes.

{{gwi:330203}}

Here is a link that might be useful: red maple

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

Our son is only 3 so he won't really grow into the playground for a few years, giving us that much time to get the tree going.

===>>>>

i dont know if you are ignoring what i said.. or just want to pretend its not a problem ...

you said: Our son is only 3 so he won't really grow into the playground for a few years, giving us that much time to get the tree going.

===>>> to get any tree to climbing size .... a few years means nothing to a tree that can live 100 years ....

if you were to buy a 6 foot tree ... and i dont recommend anything larger w/o professional installation [read that big budget] ....

it will take that 6 footer at least a decade.. to grow big enough to support a child safely ...

do you have no existing trees..??? under which there is usable shade for the playscape???

to insure something to climb on before the 3 year old turns to a teenager.. it will have to be provided by the playscape itself ...

that said.. even if not climbable.. a young tree.. can and will provide some spot of shade .. as it matures into the tree you wish ..

i am a stay at home dad.. i moved here in 2000 when the girl was 3.. and the boy 2 years from hatching ... and the trees i planted.. in a quest similar to yours.. are now.. ALMOST climbable .. and the girl is 13 and the boy 9 .... the biggest problem being.. that the kids grow faster than the trees ....

i love the trees i planted.. but they did nothing for my dream of planting new shade trees for the children ...

landscaping your yard with a tree.. has to be a different project than the playscape ... with different goals ... if you intermingle the two projects. .... i dont think you will succeed ...

good luck

ken

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Shantung maple's grow very quickly (Acer truncatum). Some websites site them as slow-growing but that's not the case.
    Sooner Plant Farm has some pretty large ones they ship. Otherwise, you may ask a local nursery for ordering in this coming spring.

Dax

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Yeah, hate to say it, but if you're planting the tree now, it will be nice for your grandchildren, but not your children. It will take 10-15 years to reach anything close to climbing size for small children, which yours obviously won't be anymore by that time.

Instead, how about a fruit tree that will take at most a year or two to get situated in it's new home and start producing some fruit? Kids love picking fruit (I know I did), so perhaps you can get a non-dwarf apple or cherry tree of bearing size from a nursery. It will be bearing well by the time your kids are old enough to really get into it, and it will still make a nice shade tree for your grandkids.

Maybe landscape with some blueberry bushes. Those are awesome for kids to pick. No thorns, tastes good (and good for you), and they can pick whole buckets full all by themselves.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Don't anybody shoot me but a fruitless mulberry (Morus alba - supposedly hardy to zone 5, maybe even parts of zone 4) will get a very wide crown which will provide dense shade within five-six years starting from a #15, and if you leave the lower limbs on, will be climbable. Goodness knows they have their problems, but we use them to provide shade over the dog pen, pasture shade for livestock, and one of the reasons is that they have the widest crown of any shade tree we can grow here, and because the big leaves make really dense shade - not at all dappled. Not a long-lived tree and issues with big surface roots, so particular planting techniques need to be followed. At least they don't have the weak crotches of the silver maples. The others who suggested oaks have much better taste than to suggest a mulberry, but as they've noted, you won't get the results fast enough. So it really depends on your overall goals and timeframe...given enough time a slower growing hardwood like an oak or maple is a much more preferable tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• alexander3_gw
    12 years ago

Sycamores grow well in the St. Louis area, and grow quite quickly, without the downside of short life that Ken is concerned about. Lots of large specimens along the path on the Skinker Boulevard side of Forest Park. They typically don't have climbable branches though, even for your grandkids.

Alex

• usacutie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First, to address Ken's comments... I am not ignoring what you said, I am taking careful notes on everyone's comments and until this recent comment you never said anything to lead me to believe my search for a good, fast growing shade tree would be impossible. You specifically said "most 'good' trees will still be growing by the time the kids are gone and you will be cutting down the fast growing trees by the time the kids do leave." I don't see any problem with either situation. However, I know nothing about trees, which is why I am here, asking for advice.

In addition, the area where I am locating the playground has plenty of evening shade from existing trees, I am just concerned about morning and afternoon shade since it gets so very hot here in the summers. I want shade all day, so I will be planting a tree on the side that doesn't have one. I'm not sure if you read my initial question fully, because I said I would "love" to have a climbable tree. It doesn't HAVE to be climbable, that would just be a great bonus because my kid is already a climber and I know he will try and climb every tree on the property, whether it's strong enough or not. However, fast growth for a lot of shade are the most important things in this situation.

Finally, you just stated that it IS possible to get a climbable tree in less time, you are just assuming I won't do it because of budget considerations. Since I have never stated what my budget is, that is your own assumption. I have asked for advice; instead of assuming that I'm not listening maybe you should actually tell me what my options are. For instance "you can do such and such 6' tree, but it won't be climbable for 20 years or so... or you can get such and such 20' tree and it'll be climbable in just a few years, but that will cost around this much."

Why do you think that intermingling the tree and playground project wouldn't work? It seems to me that if I want the tree to shade the playground they should be considered together.

• usacutie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To respond to the other comments.

I love the sycamore, it is beautiful. The non-climbable branches is a bummer, but as I mentioned before, that is just an extra perk I would love, definitely not a necessity. The fact that you've actually seen good ones in the area helps, as well. I will be discussing it with the local nursery to see what they have available!

Fruit trees, I would love love love to have. Not for the playground shade tree, but we are planning a complete overhaul on our HUGE yard full of boring grass and will be planting at least a dozen new trees in the next few years, so I will definitely be talking to the nurseries to see if there are any they recommend for this area.

Oak trees are awesome and massive and I absolutely love them, but I really worry they would grow much too slowly for my purpose. I will have to do more research to find out how quickly they would cast enough shade.

Fruitless Mulberry: I will definitely be speaking with the nursery and tree people about this one. It isn't the prettiest thing but it grows quickly and looks awfully climbable! More info will need to be researched, though, especially regarding the root systems. The area is FAR from anything that can be torn up (sidewalks, foundation, etc) but I was a little concerned at one site that mentioned they can tear up sewer systems in their hunt for water! I'm also not sure how well they will tolerate the cold, snowy winters. Found a good pick tho...

As for the maple, that is definitely an option. I had a tree guy out here yesterday (for other tree issues) and when I asked about a shade tree, he also recommended a maple (red maple to be specific). He said they will grow faster than most lindens, so maples are definitely on the list of trees to research.

Wow, so much to research! Guess my next step is to visit the nurseries and see what's even available!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:330751}}

• arktrees
    12 years ago

usacutie,
    I think Ken was just trying to make sure the point about being climbable had registered with you, and that you understood. That's just my opinion anyway.

One thing that I don't see addressed (unless I missed it) is the soil conditions, and the possibility of compaction of the soil. It matters a great deal as to what can be planted. Soil that is highly compacted greatly limits what will do well there. Same with soil type, and soil moisture. Is your home a recent construction? If so, soil problems are more likely. Also locally plenty of houses sit upon hard compacted clay that the contractor used to build up an area. This compacted clay is basically impermeable to water and roots. So it might be wise to take a shovel and dig a whole 1-2' to see what you find.

Lastly, be careful of the nurseries. Some are good, most..... not so much. Same with a landscaper. Most seem to have VERY LITTLE understanding of the plants they install. Also understand that the larger the tree you install, not only will it cost more, it's harder to transplant, and takes longer to recover. This is not to say that you must go with a small tree, just you have to be more attentative. Also species vary in their ability to tolerate transplantation.

As for fast growing trees, they IMHO have their place. But much depends upon location and goals. Shade away from the immediate vicinity of the house and many fast growing trees will be fine as long as you understand what they are. Then there are misconceptions and disagreements as well on a particular tree. The way I look at it, they are all going to hit the ground eventually, be it 50 years from now, or 200 years from now. So plant what you want as long as you know what to expect, and don't worry about it. I've mixed them in our yard.

For specific tree suggestions, Catalpa is good. Had a LARGE one overhanging my house growing up. They were all over the place as well. Tulip Tree would be a good choice. Fast growing and long lived. Some of the faster growing Oaks are Pin, Shumard, Nuttall, Scarlet, and Northern Red Oak. These can grow surprisingly fast in good conditions. Maples are too numerous to mention in this post. One hybrid 'Pacific Sunset Maple' grew amazingly fast at the local botanical garden in the largest landscape islands, so you might look into those.

Whatever your thinking, please come back and talk to us as there is still much for you to know for best results.

Arktrees

• usacutie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Arktrees, that's a lot of helpful info! First to address your questions, the house isn't "new" but it isn't old either. Built in 97... I think there is clay in the soil around the house but I'm not sure about the yard, it's pretty far. I will get a shovel out there some time this week and check it out and get back to you!

Hopefully I will be able to find something fast growing that doesn't start out so big we have to plant it with equipment. Planting a big one right off isn't completely out of the questions, but I'd definitely like to avoid it if possible. Trust me, I will be doing massive amounts of research on all the trees you guys have suggested, including checking out the local landscaping to see what does and does not seem to be doing well. :)

• arktrees
    12 years ago

Another thing I forgot to mention. Do a peculation test in the hole you dig. Once you have the hole, fill it to the brim with water, come back the next day and repeat. How much the water falls after repeating this for a couple days will tell you how well your soil drains. If the hole stays full without refilling it, then your tree choice changes drastically. Conversely, if it's bone dry in an hour that presents it's own issues.

Lastly, also look into Bald Cypress, and Dawn's Redwood as possibilities as well. Another maple I love is Autumn Fantasy Maple. Grows fast and is spreading, and the parent tree has purportedly survived many an ice storm without damage (according to the patent application). But whatever ALWAYS depends upon the soil.

Oh, and pictures are always helpful.

Arktrees

• lucky_p
    12 years ago

For the long haul, an oak would get my vote - but, for a sturdy, fast-growing tree that a youngster could have a chance to climb before they're teenagers(and no longer have any desire to do so) - I'd recommend Illinois Everbearing mulberry.
    Fruitless?! No way!! Kids(and adults) LOVE mulberry fruits, and IE is among the best. Yes, they'll come in with their hands and faces stained purple (and probably their clothes as well) - but good gosh, let 'em have some fun!
    My wife still has fond childhood memories of climbing the big mulberry tree in her neighbor's yard and eating mulberries with the birds - and my kids had similar happy experiences, since IE mulberry trees were among the first fruit trees we planted here, nearly 18 years ago. My kids, now aged 18-24, still love to go out and 'graze' on mulberries if they're home during the fruiting season, which is usually 6 weeks, from mid June through the end of July, here.

• quercus_macrocarpa
    12 years ago

For a reasonably fast grower with good form and sturdy branches, try Swamp Chestnut Oak/Basket Oak (Quercus michauxii).

• usacutie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone! Been out of town and crazy busy around here, but things are progressing. Our swingset has been ordered and it is MASSIVE (yay, so excited)! We still want some kind of shade tree but I haven't had a chance to make it to a nursery to see what is available. Hopefully I will get to a few this week and will have a list for you guys. I am planning to go out tomorrow to check the drainage situation and will let you know what I discover.

In the meantime, I have figured out how to get you an image! Well, kind of. I have no clue how to put an actual pic in the post, but I'm including the link below. This picture was taken sometime in the summer, probably during the middle of the day. You can see that much of the swingset area is NOT shaded; I may even need to move my potential tree location a little to ensure proper shading. What are your thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:330753}}

• palomita274
    11 years ago

If you haven't planted yet, I third the mulberry tree! I loved climbing ours as a child and eating its fruit. But I have to admit, my mom was not thrilled with our purple feet.

As per the question of soil: Most soil in STL is clay.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Re: Oaks are slow-growing: Meh..I don't know that I totally agree with that. Installed two swamp white oaks in my parent's then-new yard 8 years ago. They're fully climable right now, 'ceptin I've removed the lower limbs! Swamp white oak has the ability to tolerate soil compaction too. As do pretty much all bottomland species.

+oM

• nick1427d
    11 years ago

Cutie, I live across the river from you and planted a tulip tree last year. At the time I planted it, it was approximately 2 ft tall. This summer even with the drought it is now nearly 6ft. It is a very fast growing shade tree that takes minimal maintenance. It is however relatively weak wooded and may drop branches in storms. I would also recommend a swamp white oak or even a regular white oak. These grow relatively fast and are very hardy.

Is that a pool? If the trees location will be south of the pool, be aware that southern summer winds will blow debris (i.e leaves) into the pool. I have a pool also and the maples around the area dropped a lot of leaves with the drought and ended up in my pool. Just something to think about.

Sorry for the long post but I would recommend
    Tulip tree for fastest growth
    Swamp white oak for being stronger

If you stick with anything that grows naturally in the area you shouldn't have to worry about hardiness aside from when it's young or newly transplanted.

Also factor in cost as it may be better to spend more and buy something already larger like 5' to 6' so that it'll be of good size by the time your kiddo(s) are wanting to climb it. If you go with the tulip tree, plant it in the spring. They do not do well when planted in the fall.

• aquilachrysaetos
    11 years ago

My kids' jungle gym when they were growing up was a Kingan Fruitless Mulberry. It was perfect for the purpose. It also supported an assortment of tire swings and climbing ropes. It kept our house tolerably cool in summers too. It was not the most attractive tree but nobody cared because it was fun and shady.

We had to cut it down a couple years ago because of the already aforementioned surface roots. The family was very sorry to see their childhood playground go. When we cut it, the house was 15 degrees hotter in the summer.

I have replaced it with sycamores. The largest, LP Columbia, has been in the ground for three years. It was fifteen feet tall when I got it. It now towers above the house (30 feet, I think) and is providing some decent morning shade.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I don't get why a posting is brought back randomly many months down the road...I wasted my time catching up thinking all this was going on for fall!

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Whaas, you're right! The cutie last checked in back in March! Wonder how the tree's doing.

+oM

• poaky1
    11 years ago

Fast growing oaks in my yard are Chestnut oak, Northern red oak, Nuttals oak. The pin oak may not like your soil PH. The Nuttals oak seems to have the nicely placed branches, straight out from the trun{{gwi:330744}}k {{gwi:330758}} I don't know that you can see the b ranch form very well. If you click on the pictures, you can see all my photos, with other trees I have some big enough to see their shape as they mature.