Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz9601

Do I need to prune Autumn Blaze tree?

suz9601
10 years ago

Hello. I have an Autumn Blaze tree that I have had in my yard for about 4 years now. I have not pruned it at all yet. I am not sure if I need to trim it or not. I think the woman at the nursery said to trim everything off below 5 ft, but am not sure. I have included a pic with my husband standing next to it. He is 5'11 if that helps. Should I trim the bottom branches off or just let it be?
Thanks for any advice.

Comments (8)

• Deb
    10 years ago

From the photo, it appears that you may have one or more co-dominant leaders. Those are a bigger concern than low branches when it comes to the health of the tree.
    You may want to have an arborist take a look at the tree and shape it to give it a good start in life.
    As for pruning off everything below five feet, be aware that at least half of the tree's foliage should be in the lower two-thirds of the tree. If you do decide to prune off lower branches, consider doing it gradually to minimize stress to the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning & Care of Shade Trees

• jbraun_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with hair. Before you decide if you want to prune, ask whoever mows the grass if any of the limbs get in their way. Then chose.

I have that variety kind of close to my back patio. It's about 2 years younger and it's a little lower than yours is now. As it gets older I'll limb it up to about 5' or 6'. It's easier to do things under.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

its a simple equation ...

its either your backyard.. or the trees...

if you dont prune.. the tree will take over ....

with no more than that pic ... and presuming there is a deck or patio behind.. i would prune everything .. from the pix sight-line... below the fence behind.. and whn i got near the fence line.. i would stop.. and wait until next year.. taking this summer to find out if i liked what i achieved.. my general pruning rule is.. you can always take more off next year.. but you cant staple them back on.. if you get carried away ....

because i would want to retain the site block on the houses behind ...

if there is a deck and its elevated.. then that might change perspectives.. etc ...

i would then hand prune off any twig-let branches.. new word there.. lol ... of any twigs growing down.. from what i left... anything that could poke me in the eyes while i enjoy my shade ... its much simpler to snip off a tiny twig.. than wait until its an inch thick ....

and while you are at it.. knock him down.. and give him a shave also ... lol ..

do you have any clue on how to prune [i see a link above, which i dont have time to proof] .. do you own the right saw.. and do you have a pair of good pruning hand shears???

ken

ps: i wouldnt worry about more than one leader.. now that it is fence high ... i dont think that these trees favor single leaders naturally.. so i wouldnt be worrying about it in the future .... i would not want a shrub at the ground.. but now that it will be over my head.. i feel its moot ....

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Without seeing several other pics, I'd say you have a pretty nice Autumn Blaze as far as structure goes for this cultivar.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

From looking at the pic, about neck high on the stand in model would be about min level for mowing purposes. IMHO prune the bottom half of these this year, and then the rest to the models neck height next year. AND make PROPER pruning cuts. That means no pegs left sticking out from the trunk, nor cutting chunks out of the trunk. If your no sure, come back and we will educate you on the best place to make the cuts.

Arktrees

• olreader
    10 years ago

I think the advice to prune in summer is good. You will be able to see how the leaves screen the neighbors and how the tree provides summer shade.

Question for everyone: if someone wanted to keep all the existing low branches on this tree, and/or encourage more branches/leaves/screening on the lower part of the tree, would any pruning be recommended (either low or high on the tree)? Or just leave it alone?

• suz9601
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for all of your help. i really appreciate it. :)