Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning help

Posted by tanowicki 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 14:55

I have a dogwood in my front yard with a medusa-like branch area. I'm not sure which branches to prune. I'm thinking it's likely that three branches will go but would like some more opinions on which three and if it should be more or less. The medusa area is circled in red in the photos below. I tried to take a photo of the tree overall and then a few angles of the problem area.

IMAG0006

IMAG0007

IMAG0008

IMAG0009

IMAG0010

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning help

hi

you have failed to mention your goals???

obviously.. you arent limbing up to walk under ...

seems like its rather well shaped...

doesnt appear to interfere with the walkway, the front door.. nor the window ...

you just got some hankerin' to cut some wood.. or what.. lol .. get a new chainsaw for your birthday?????

yeah .... its old .. its been poorly pruned before... etc...

but so what...

name a goal ... otherwise.. leave it alone.. or get rid of it

ken

o

That area bugs me because it's unaesthetic. Additionally, it seems like that area just doesn't seem good for the tree - too much at one juncture. There are some other really poorly pruned areas that I'm hoping to fix or at least improve and figure while I'm at it...

Also, I like to prune.

o

Much ado about nothing, far as I can tell. Except for your last statement-you like to prune!

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here