Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far should I plant OCtober Glory Maple from my house?

Posted by peaches2010 Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 15:40

I live in Texas and my home's backyard needs shade however I dont' have a huge yard in the back. the pool takes up most of the yard. How close can I plant a smll October Glory Maple to the pool area wihtout damaging structure of pool or house? Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far should I plant OCtober Glory Maple from my house?

I have another suggestion. 'fire dragon' shantung maple. Won't get too big. Grows relatively fast. You can get it from metro maples in ft worth. Root system is less agressive than red maples.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 19:29

I'd say at least 10'...although I would never recommend a maple near a pool...I'd go with an evergreen selection.

o

I don't like the maple near the pool either. And I'd go at least 15' from house & 20' from pool for that particular plant.

Dan

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 1:32

October Glory a full-sized tree, probably too big for your spot.

Near swimming pools you only want certain kinds of trees and shrubs, that will not interfere with filtration of the water. Look for lists of suitable kinds on the internet and in garden and landscape books. The Sunset Western Garden Book (2007 Sunset Publishing), for instance has such a list.

Wouldn't expect a tree to crack a pool with substantial walls under ordinary circumstances.

o

Another suggestion... Doric Dragon shantung maple from Metro Maples. Grows to be around 25-30' tall and 8-10' wide after maybe 10-12 years. Available in the fall of 2010 if you want to wait till then. It'd be a good one if you have 2 story house and there's not very much space for branches to grow out over the roof when it's so high.

You didn't specify where you live so October Glory may not do well esp in alkaline soil (From Dallas to San Antonio). October Glory can get quite big in good acidic soil.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 13:32

If the problem is you are burning up in the sun out there by the pool you need to erect a structural solution such as a lath house, arbor or at least some patio umbrellas anyway. Trees take years to develop and cast significant shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here