Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quercus aliena?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 15:49

Has anyone seen, grown, or heard of this Asian oak? While I doubt it can beat our own native White oaks here in N. America, I'm curious about this tree...how it grows, what it looks like, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quercus aliena?

There are some good images around - like on the other website.

In my experience, it reminds more of Swamp White Oak in leaf character and texture. Not many of them around to make categorical statements, though.

o

It does look Swamp White Oakish from the images I found. I can't imagine it being better adapted than Swamp White, which is actually native, but I wonder how it would do in heat, drought, etc.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 8:28

While at the Chicago Botanical Gardens yesterday there was a tree that grabbed my attention due its sensational bark quality. It was corky and white looking from afar.

Sure enough a Q. aliena which I hadn't heard of before.

I was specially looking at trees with bark character and this one definitely stood out long the likes of A.triflorum, griseum and Ulmus parviflora.

Probably 30' tall and somewhat exposed location up on a hill but not sure what direction it was facing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here