Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
verticillium wilt and cedar hawthorn rust resistant tree

Posted by DoloresM Maryland (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 15:50

Hi - I removed a Japanese maple that I think had Verticillium wilt. Then planted a Winter King Hawthorn. The hawthorn looked great the first year, second year had yellow spots and dropped fruit. There is a Hollywood juniper nearby so I think the problem is Cedar hawthorn rust. Of course I could be wrong.

If I cut down the hawthorn, will the juniper be okay?
What can I plant that grows no more than 25 feet tall and is resistant to both of these diseases?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: verticillium wilt and cedar hawthorn rust resistant tree

why dont you get rid of the host ... the juniper... instead of working around the disease it hosts???

it will always have the rust.. its within the inherent nature of the beast ... [meaning i would not spend money on doing such]

ken

ps: i wouldnt have removed the JM . unless i verified it had VW

o

A mature Hollywood juniper is a rather appealing tree.....not sure I would be hasty about its removal, especially as it is not a strong carrier of the hawthorn rust pathogen.

Dogwoods are often suggested as a verticillium resistant replacement for JM's. Otherwise, you could consider a dwarf Katsura or a Stewartia or any conifer.

And it's usually rather easy to confirm if a Japanese maple contracts verticillium - the tree dies. And often quite rapidly at that.

o

Hi ken - I thought that the hawthorn was the culprit. I have read that winter king green hawthorns are often trouble. And the juniper is way bigger, the hawthorn is young and easier to remove. If I take out the hawthorn, I was wondering if I could just spray the juniper which does not look too bad.
I took out the JM because one large half of the tree was dead. It was totaled suddenly! Very sad. Thank you for responding.

Hi gardengal48 - yes, the HJ is awesome! I was looking at verticillium resistant small trees. A Stewartia would be fabulous! Evergreen would be great too. It just seems like the spot is cursed! I planted the hawthorne where the JM was. Thanks for the tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here