Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Acer pseudoplatanus 'Eskimo Sunset'

hi

anyone with cultural info on this ....

i think i may have planted mine in too much shade.. i got info along the lines of the link below .... it is on irrigation.. water is fine... but growth rate is barely 4 inches per year ... after 3 years ...

that leaves me with concerns about bright but near total shade until very late in the day .... it is a cool area of the garden under a 100 foot oak ... perhaps 15 to 20 feet from the massive trunk .. with the canopy up about 20 feet ... nearly no direct sun per above ...

i am wondering if anyone has experience.. your zone.. and how much direct sun this thing can take .... in relation to the exposure ...

thanks

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Comments (23)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Am I reading this correctly? you actually have a maple tree?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ummmmmmmmmmmmm ....

no i think its a Fake[pseudo] plane[sycamore] ..... lol ....

ken

• pineresin
    16 years ago

It is of course, unlike most other maples, utterly hideous.

The most important thing to remember when planting is its unique planting requirements, that the roots are in the air, and the shoots deep in the soil.

;-)

• giboosi_alttara
    16 years ago

Haha!

I think pineresin has it right!

Ken, how come you couldn't plant one of the many many pretty maples?

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Handy nursery web site (when offering this item) has reported that this originates in New Zealand where it was named after the Esk Valley, and is correctly 'Esk Sunset'.

• picea
    16 years ago

Hi Ken,

At least yours in growing. Mine looks worse every year. Arbor Village nursery says it is growing well for them so you may want to call and ask how they have sited it. They are located somewhere in the midwest. Google arborvillageLLC.

David

Original Author
    16 years ago

i am getting ready to move this one...

any ideas just how much sun protection it needed ...

shall i presume a little protection from the hottest sun of the day .. might be better than shade all day???

someone has to have an opinion ...ken

• corgimaples
    15 years ago

I have a 4 to 5 foot Eskimo Sunset maple. It is in a very shaded area for best color. It is also protected from west winds. The maple would scorch if given too much sun. This spring's color is fantastic. However, something is chewing on the leaves recently. Beautiful tree!!!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    13 years ago

Ken,
    How is your tree doing? I just saw this one for the first time at a local nursery and they were just beautiful in spite of what others posted here. I must have one! How are the leaves holding up? Have they scorched?

Original Author
    13 years ago

mine is doing just fine... sloooowwwww ...

mine is in full sun until about 1pm.. then bright shade for the rest of the day.. so no great amount of scorch ...

it makes me very happy .. you need to get it ...

ken

• pineresin
    13 years ago

It'll benefit from a generous foliar feed application of 2-[(phosphonomethyl)amino]acetic acid

Resin

Original Author
    13 years ago

i hope she knows you are kidding

you are a tree racist resin .... only one color allowed ...

as with such.. ignore him .. lol ..

ken

• Loretta NJ Z6
    13 years ago

Oh come on! You know what they say...

.............Pink makes the boys wink!

{{gwi:331322}}

{{gwi:331325}}

{{gwi:331326}}

Anyway - it sold out before I could see what it looked like in summer.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

'Esk Sunset' maintains the harlequin appearance through summer here in cool USDA 8. Dry sites may see some mildew, I don't remember for sure one way or the other. Do remember seeing horrid mildew recently on purple Norway maples and bigleaf maple.

Original Author
    12 years ago

bumping it up ...

cuz its funny

resin is such a card ...

ken

• zoeysullivan
    7 years ago

Ken,

Since it has been a 8 years now since your original post, how is your Esk Sunset doing?

I have bought one, now have to site it.

Wondering what the root system is like. Are there fibrous surface roots like a maple?

Do you have pictures you could post?

Terri

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

it died this year in drought .. im bummed ... but i expected such ...

since it has white in the leaves... site it to be out of hot afternoon sun ... but otherwise as much sun as it can get ...

dont know where you are Z .... but in MI.. after ten years ... it was barely 6 to 8 feet tall .... its not a vigorous tree ...

and it really didnt live long enough for me to notice anything about roots ...

dont have time for pix right now... hopefully later .... old pix of course ...

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    7 years ago

Zoeysullivan where are you? I think that they are gorgeous trees and there are quite a few of them around here in gardens and nurseries. We all try to site them where they are shaded in the afternoon. The new growth is gorgeous and if enough shade, they look attractive all summer. Too much sun and they crisp. The undersides of the leaves are purple, so it's also nice to try to site them where you can see them backlit.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I agree with Sara - gorgeous smallish trees in the right location :-) There are any number of them planted here in the PNW and because of our mild, cool climate, a sunnier location does not seem to hinder them, provided adequate summer irrigation is provided. Family members just purchased a new home with a large, professionally designed garden that includes a lot of less common species and a well-established Esk Sunset. They liked the tree so much, we have included several more to fill in areas where other species did not fair well and have been removed.

I personally had a similar cultivar of pseudoplatanus planted in my old garden. - 'Puget Pink' is an introduction from Dan Hinkley of Heronswood Nursery fame. Not as highly variegated as Esk Sunset but with beautiful coloring nonetheless, especially in spring. And one of the few trees that really distressed me about moving away :-(

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    7 years ago

While I love Esk Sunset, Nizetti is my favorite A. pseudoplatanus cultivar. Actually, I love all of the cultivars of this species that I have seen.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

'Puget Pink' is both a clone and a seed strain raised from seeds of 'Prinz Handjery' and has the same general characteristics. This last is basically a more vigorous version of 'Brilliantissimum', with purple instead of green leaf undersides which may be seen as marring the color effect produced by the leaves rather than adding to it. I was able to get the preferred 'Brilliantissimum' from the Frank Byles company in Olympia back in the day. Others may be growing 'Prinz Handjery' under the name as stock of this other cultivar was supplied to retail garden centers in the region as 'Brilliantissimum' for some years by a grower in Oregon.

Another place I have seen the true item is the Froggwell garden on Whidbey Island, where Holly Turner had several of them. Otherwise I pretty much never see this here.

Recently I saw some potted stock of 'Esk Sunset' that was mildewing noticeably. So I would definitely make a point of maintaining consistent summer soil moisture with any plantings of this introduction here.

Grafted stock of sycamore maple cultivars will presumably have sycamore maple roots, unless another species is being favored by commercial propagators for this purpose. At any rate all maples can be hard to garden under once they get big enough. However since 'Esk Sunset' is slow-growing planting one of these is not likely to result in a large area full of competitive roots anytime soon.

• zoeysullivan
    7 years ago

I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. 5a.

I am hoping for a slow grower, with not a lot of spread.

It will mostly be in full sun, but in garden area that I make sure stays well watered.

What pictures you can show will be much appreciated.

Terri

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!