Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer pseudoplatanus 'Eskimo Sunset'

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 08 at 16:25

hi

anyone with cultural info on this ....

i think i may have planted mine in too much shade.. i got info along the lines of the link below .... it is on irrigation.. water is fine... but growth rate is barely 4 inches per year ... after 3 years ...

that leaves me with concerns about bright but near total shade until very late in the day .... it is a cool area of the garden under a 100 foot oak ... perhaps 15 to 20 feet from the massive trunk .. with the canopy up about 20 feet ... nearly no direct sun per above ...

i am wondering if anyone has experience.. your zone.. and how much direct sun this thing can take .... in relation to the exposure ...

thanks

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer pseudoplatanus 'Eskimo Sunset'

Am I reading this correctly? you actually have a maple tree?

o

ummmmmmmmmmmmm ....

no i think its a Fake[pseudo] plane[sycamore] ..... lol ....

ken

o

It is of course, unlike most other maples, utterly hideous.

The most important thing to remember when planting is its unique planting requirements, that the roots are in the air, and the shoots deep in the soil.

;-)

o

Haha!

I think pineresin has it right!

Ken, how come you couldn't plant one of the many many pretty maples?

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 11:00

Handy nursery web site (when offering this item) has reported that this originates in New Zealand where it was named after the Esk Valley, and is correctly 'Esk Sunset'.

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 22:01

Hi Ken,

At least yours in growing. Mine looks worse every year. Arbor Village nursery says it is growing well for them so you may want to call and ask how they have sited it. They are located somewhere in the midwest. Google arborvillageLLC.

David

o

i am getting ready to move this one...

any ideas just how much sun protection it needed ...

shall i presume a little protection from the hottest sun of the day .. might be better than shade all day???

someone has to have an opinion ...ken

o

I have a 4 to 5 foot Eskimo Sunset maple. It is in a very shaded area for best color. It is also protected from west winds. The maple would scorch if given too much sun. This spring's color is fantastic. However, something is chewing on the leaves recently. Beautiful tree!!!

o

Ken,
How is your tree doing? I just saw this one for the first time at a local nursery and they were just beautiful in spite of what others posted here. I must have one! How are the leaves holding up? Have they scorched?

o

mine is doing just fine... sloooowwwww ...

mine is in full sun until about 1pm.. then bright shade for the rest of the day.. so no great amount of scorch ...

it makes me very happy .. you need to get it ...

ken

o

It'll benefit from a generous foliar feed application of 2-[(phosphonomethyl)amino]acetic acid

Resin

o
RE: not really funny

i hope she knows you are kidding

you are a tree racist resin .... only one color allowed ...

as with such.. ignore him .. lol ..

ken

o

Oh come on! You know what they say...

.............Pink makes the boys wink!

Anyway - it sold out before I could see what it looked like in summer.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 21:06

'Esk Sunset' maintains the harlequin appearance through summer here in cool USDA 8. Dry sites may see some mildew, I don't remember for sure one way or the other. Do remember seeing horrid mildew recently on purple Norway maples and bigleaf maple.

o

bumping it up ...

cuz its funny

resin is such a card ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here