Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragon Lady Holly

Posted by chester_grant 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 16:32

Now this is a terrific holly - at least at my last house. I had a magnificent specimen on the property which was dense and which grew to twenty feet in height - it was subsequently cut down by the buyers in order to expose stonework on the front of the house!

I have puchased a couple of small 7 ft dragon lady hollys where I live now but both are spindly looking things - after three years of growth. Do these things have to be vigorously pruned in order to get a dense form? Or do I just have lemons this time around? Maybe the difference is the amount of light they get - the dense one mentioned above was in full sun all afternoon - and I never pruned it either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragon Lady Holly

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 17:20

If they are healthy you may just be seeing the difference between youth and age, the much larger and older plant having more meat on it.

o

Most all hollies like full sun, although ilex opaca can tolerate a good bit of shade. I'm not familiar with 'Dragon Lady' but it sounds like she needs more sun.
Sherry

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 08 at 18:18

Dragon Lady is actually a registered trademark used to sell the female cultivar 'Meschick' derived from a crossing of Ilex pernyi and I. aquifolium. Possibly an influence from the first parent tends to produce an open habit when the plant is young. Also, production nurseries are interested in frequent cropping, newly purchased specimens may have been "pushed" and exhibit longer, sparser shoots than will be seen subsequently in the new planting site.

"The new variety is a quick grower...

Eight year old plants in the landscape averaged approximately 3 feet in breadth at the base, approximately 1.5 feet in breadth at the top, and approximately 9 to 10 feet in height. Most specimens have 2 or 3 main trunks."

Here is a link that might be useful: United States Patent: PP04996

o

My Dragon Ladies - at least the ones referred to here - have a single trunk. I do have another multitrunked one which I bought as a mature tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here