Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Tree Azalea - can I buy these from small?

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

I feel this small tree is really nice. I only see shrubs on sell most of the time. Do they eventually grow into this? or, are these only a group of cultivars?

{{gwi:331472}}

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Although the definitions of tree and shrub vary from person to person and sometimes with situation, I think most people would be more likely to call the plant in your picture a shrub. It looks fairly typical of many rhododendrons.

It appears that someone has doctored the photo a little. I wonder why (not that it really matters, I guess).

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brandon,

1 - Do you have these?

2 - Do yours grow to this size?

3 - If the answers of 1 and 2 are yes, can you post some pictures?

Thank you.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 19:59

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

1. I don't have any rhodys on my personal property, but work with them often. They are extremely beautiful, but for some reason just never have been a favorite of mine.
    2. I see them that size pretty regularly.
    3. You can Google-image 'rhododendron' and get lots of pictures of fairly large specimens.
    4. Don't forget, we have our eye on you (especially you, if you know what I mean).

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by brandon7 7 TN (My Page) on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 19:44

Brandon, you did not answer my question:

Do you know if the azaleas we see eventually grow into tree size?

We come here for our love of plants.

If you are not talking about plants, obviously you are not, then send them to me by private messages.

More people are watching you, do you realize it?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I didn't answer that question because YOU DIDN'T ASK THAT QUESTION! And, BTW, I was too busy doing some more background checks on ya.

So, back to the new question...I don't know the exact ID of the plant, so won't speculate on how large that particular plant might grow.

As for more people watching...I haven't given out any classified info yet, so no worries.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

It's a bit difficult to determine the true scale of the plant in that photo but to answer your question, do azaleas grow into "trees"? Not exactly :-) They can grow into some rather significantly sized shrubs, depending on species or hybrid, but as they typically always have multiple small trunks from the root crown, they really are not considered "trees". I've seen various deciduous (mollis or mollis hybrids) azaleas reach 8' or more but unless some of the trunks are manually removed at ground level, they are really just shrub-like in appearance.

One can find 'tree azaleas' available for sale but these tend to be grafted specimens of your typical evergreen azalea,with a single clear trunk. And not all that much height - 3-4' max.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 14:30

Thanks for the information. In Virginia, they grow into dense and huge shrub-balls of red, pink and purple, etc.