Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleveland pear tree leaf colors

Posted by joyceandrobbie (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 17:36

Can anyone tell me if the Cleveland pear tree leaves turn from golden bronze to a deep red color in late fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleveland pear tree leaf colors

I think they go from green to red, no golden bronze stage that I know of.

There are better trees to choose. What are you looking for in a tree?

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 22:13

Stinky white flowers and reddish purple fall color are typical of all Callery pear cultivars. The main point (so to speak) of Chanticleer ('Cleveland Select', 'Select', 'Glen's Form') specifically is the compact conical crown.

Here is a link that might be useful: United States Patent: PP02489

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 6:34

Just a question about these trees: I'm told that Cleveland, Bradford, etc pear trees (most any kind) are usually not a good homeowner tree choice to buy because they split a lot and can't seem to support their branch weight. I've almost bought one or two on occasion, but didn't because of these comments. Any comments?

o

Review the archives of this forum for countless discussions on callery pears (or by various cultivar name). And search Google for additional comments. Overplanted, with a poor structure and weak limbs and a growing propensity for becoming invasive throughout a wide portion of the country.

As esh says, there are better trees to choose from. MUCH better.

o

I have also seen these growing in ravines on the side of the road here in NC. They are on the invasive watch list in several Southern states.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here