Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epic book about conifers to be launched at Harvard

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 17:45

I posted this to conifers but thought it should get a wider release in case there are any members in New England who post here but not there. I'll just summarize what you can read in the link by saying this will probably be one of the most remarkable efforts in the history of horticultural publishing. I am anxious to be able to review a copy before purchasing; for that price (Euro 250 I think), a purchaser should be getting stellar imaging and printing quality, but that is not always the case.

http://environment.harvard.edu/events/2012-03-02/conifers-around-world

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epic book about conifers to be launched at Harvard

See my post on conifer forum - there is a copy to review and the photography is gorgeous. The lecture was lots of fun, even for non-conifer buffs. Price for the two volume set is $250.00. I saw him last Sunday at Quarryhill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quarryhill Botanical Gardens

o

Epic book ..... this will probably be one of the most remarkable efforts in the history of horticultural publishing

===>>> are you in marketing??? or one of the authors ...

crimminey ... the most epic historic book ever known to man.. on the face of the earth .... and half way to mars ...

i guess another book will never be written ... and it surprises me that it will outreach darwin and Linnaeus ...

what a hoot ... just yanking your chain a bit.. have fun with your new book ....

ken

o

Ken,
Your jaundiced worldview is always amusing, if nothing else.
If you bothered to read about it, you would see that it is something like a 20 year effort comprising over 5000 man-hours of work. Using the standard formula publishers use to index hours effort to # of pages, this would be the equivalent of a 5 million word novel. So obviously it's not just another gardening book; I'm not saying it's the Holy Bible or Remembrance of Things Past (1.5 million words), but it is a very notable achievement. But hey, you know, if you're planning to visit every native site of every conifer on an Earth with vanishing natural resources and uncultivated lands to make your own book, please do let us know how it's going.

o

You can see more on the conifers forum but it really is an amazing story accompanied by wonderful photographs. Not something that you see or hear about every day.

o

I'm going to wait for the movie.

o

With Harrison Ford coming back as a botanist!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here