Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brambi24_gw

Mulberry Tree is Bent

brambi24
12 years ago

Im new to this site, so here goes.

My mulberry tree is bent at the top just below the branch line. Is there anything I can do to straighten it out.

Its straight until about 6 in from the tree top (Where the branches start to grow) and then bends forward. Im afraid if it continues to grow this way , the tree's top will bend to the point of breaking it. I cant find anything about staking a tree if the tree itself is bent. It seems all

I can find on line is if the tree has begun to grow from the ground and is leaning. My tree isnt leaning. It comes out of the ground straight as an arrow. But once it reaches about 6 inches from the branch line, the tree has a crook in it forcing it forward. Can I stake it just below the bend on one side and then pull the top the other direction to straighten it? Or will this damage the tree? I also thoughbt about using a bamboo steak to tie it to the tree so it could straighten it out, but I think the tree istelf is too thick for this. The tree is about 8 feet tall with a 3 inch trunk. Its been in a container until recently where it has been placed in the ground four days ago.

Comments (11)

• taxo_man
    12 years ago

Some mulberry trees I have seen seem to have that 'bent over' sort of look, with hanging branches.. I have one in my yard that is around 30 years old and has a serious over hang that extends at least 15 feet out way from the trunk in one direction (toward sunlight)
    Not sure if it is normal though..
    J

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I see that you tried hard to verbally describe the situation, but a picture would probably REALLY help. Any possibility of posting at least one or two pics?

• brambi24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will try and upload some pics first thing tmrw morning..

• ilovemytrees
    12 years ago

I have 2 red maples (Red Sunsets) and they were a little bit bent at the top so sooner Plant Farm told me I could CAREFULLY bend them straight and he told me how, by gently grabbing the trunk and slowly bending them back. He said nurseries do it all the time. I un-bended the trees last year, and it was nerve wracking for me! But it worked! And they have been perfectly straight since, and they even went un-staked this winter, and even with 60 mph winds a few times they remained straight and tall. Btw, they are about 7 feet tall now. They were 5 feet last year when I did this.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

since there are weeping mulberry.. w/o a pic.. there can be no solution ...

check out the link

BTW ... a perfectly straight tree.. is more of a man made concept.. rather than what happens in nature .... especially in a babe ...

when this thing.. presuming its not a weeper.. is 30 feet tall ... whatever bend it has today.. is not really going to be all that important ....

and i doubt it will break.. simply due to bending.. trees bend.. flex.. and blow in the wind .. and take 99% of it all w/o a problem .... and usually grow to compensate for such when it is naturally occurs ... its when we start forcing an aesthetic/preconceived notion on it when real problems begin ..

lets see the pix

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brambi24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cant figure out how to put pix on here. So for now no pix

• brambi24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So here are the pics of the mulberry tree. I hope it shows what im talking about.

{{gwi:331676}}

{{gwi:331677}}

{{gwi:331678}}

{{gwi:331679}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

its been growing like that for at least 5 years ... why is it an issue now???

did you pay to have it installed??? personally i would not have bought that tree ...

i say no ... it can not be straightened.. well.. it can.. but then all the branches will be on one side ....

i would enjoy it for what it is.. rather than force it into some other shape ..

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

In my opinion, straightening that tree is definitely not practical. I agree that it's not the "ideal" form, but the bend will become less and less noticeable as the tree grows. I'd leave it (the bend) alone and possible do a little balancing pruning. As Ken said, enjoy it for what it is.

Who planted that tree? Where's the root flare? And, why is the water dam so high?

• ilovemytrees
    12 years ago

That tree is planted all WRONG! You have literally asphyxiated the rootflare! When you plant a tree the root flare must be seen. Google image what a root flare looks like. This is an emergency! Dig the tree up ASAP! It's a would-be telephone pole! Trees are not telephone poles, and shouldn't be placed in the ground as such.

Oh, my God, that poor poor tree suffering. Breaks my heart!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Brambi24, Below is a link to instructions about how to plant a tree. The two things that would concern me most is if the root system was potbound or girdling roots were present and that wasn't addressed at planting (see section 3 in the article), and, if the root system was planted significantly below where it should have been (see sections 4 & 5 in the article). Since the tree was only recently planted, now would be the time to correct either of these issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub