Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crepe myrrtle transplant

Posted by etchilds ca (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 20:02

My gardener just transplanted a crepe myrtle tree from a wine barrel to the ground. It is about 12 foot tall and the base of trunk is about 2.5 inches. It was my mom's who is recently deceased and I wanted to put it in the ground to honor her. The gardeners removed it from barrel and put it in ground but the root ball is now about 4 inches below the surrounding soil level. If I level it out and add 4 inches of soil to the top of the root ball, will this be a problem for the tree or its trunk? As it sits now, it appears sunken 4 inches.. Do I level out the soil which will add soil to the top of the root ball or call the gardener and have him dig this up and replant level with soil line? my concern with the later is that will disturb the root ball that was intact during the first transplant. i don't think I can remove soil to level the area to the tree. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crepe myrrtle transplant

Unfortunately you need to dig it up and replant it so that the soil is level. These plants are tough as nails and this one will survive disturbing the rootball. Whatever you do, do not fill up the 'hole' by adding 4" of soil around the plant. Your gardener needs to take a refresher course on correct planting technique. Good luck!

o
RE: crApe myrtle transplant

You should raise/replant your crApe myrtle so that its root flare is slightly above grade (which is pretty standard practice when planting trees and shrubs) to account for additional settling. Please review the planting guide, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here