Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Oak Bark coming off

Posted by ksbarnz Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 20:06

Hi have a Red Oak whose bark has started to come off. The tree is about 15ft tall and was planted 2.5 years ago. roughly 50% of the bark has come off the base of the tree. The problem started about a year and a half ago. I had taken a few photos to our local nursery who said the tree would heal itself in time. However, is there anything I can do to speed the process? Also, we have another red oak, that I just noticed started to have the same problem. Any ideas what could have caused this, and what I can do to speed the healing process?

The guy that planted the trees created a water basin. Could over/standing water have caused this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Oak Bark coming off

Heres is another picture

o

second tree

o

Lawn mower accident? Also, those trees seem to be planted too deep, I can't see any root flare

o

Lawn mower or weedeater damage comes to mind ; it really does look like it has been planted too deeply.

o

The tree is about 15ft tall and was planted 2.5 years ago.

==>>> damaged.. most likely when field dug .. and only started showing long after the insult of such ...

its not uncommon.. for the damage to show.. long after the insult ...

looks like it was telephone poled also ... planted too deep ..... can you root around in there.. and find out where the trunk/root interface is ??? if its underground.. that isnt good ....

i am thinking it is going to be a long hard road for it to heal ....

any canopy loss???? ... does it seem barely bigger than when it was planted two seasons ago ...

think about it this way ... 90% of its roots were cut off .... IF field dug ... so you lost 90% of its water moving capacity ... and now you have lost about 50% of its trunks ability to move water up the tree ... its suffering ...

will it live or die.. i dont know ....

ken

ps: i think its much worse than weedwhip damage ... more like back up and hit it with the bumper damage ... regardless ... i would clear the grass in at least a 3 foot circle.. and add a proper layer of mulch ... see link regarding mulching and PROPER watering

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

The tree is planted too deeply. It's coming out of the ground like a telephone pole. No root flare is evident. The tree is starving for oxygen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here