Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'The President'

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 20:34

Did you know that 'The President' was 3200 years old? Have you ever had the pleasure?

Here is a link that might be useful: 'The President'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'The President'

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 21:42

Warning: link leads to a Youtube video.

o

I've never seen a Youtube link warrant a "warning". Am I missing something?

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 12:09

Last summer I sat on a bench across the path from that tree and contemplated it while eating a sack lunch with Hubby. It's one of the most beautiful sequoias. I think it's prettier than Sherman because the bark is much more vivid and it has a fuller canopy.

That bottom to top photo Nat Geo did confirms my opinion.

We're going back up there in May. It's probably my most favorite place in the world.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 13:42

dis, I have that photo on my office wall. It's pretty impressive and a nice looking tree besides. My wife and I spent a week in Yosemite last Fall. 'The President' isn't there, but the Sequoiadendrons are almost as big. We have also spent some time in the Calaveras Grove further north near Angel's Camp.
Mike

o

Hi dis_,
I've never been to Sequoia Nat'l Park so I really envy you, it's on my bucket list. I've heard some say it's considered hallowed ground.
The youtube link in the OP is promoting the December issue of Nat'l Geographic Magazine. I really like the fact that they took the portrait in winter. Many easterners think that Sequoia cannot tolerate cold. This is from the article:
One thing to remember about them,........is that they withstand months of frigid conditions. Their preferred habitat is severely wintry, so they must be strong while frozen. Snow piles up around them; it weights their limbs while the temperature wobbles in the teens.
How about the fact that the top 40' is dead from a lightening strike that occured 1000 YEARS AGO!

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 21:32

Botann: I've never visited Yosemite's Sequoias. I've seen photos of the Grizzly Giant in the Mariposa grove. That is an impressive tree. I definitely want to visit that one.

Sam: 40`? You can barely see it for the encircling foliage. In fact I did not know it had a snag top until I saw the photo. I couldn't see it from the ground.

The snow photos are the most beautiful, I think. Dunno if I'll ever get a chance to see the trees in snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here