Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crcash2

pink flowering dogwood with bark splitting at base

crcash2
12 years ago

I see no evidence of borer attack, but my one year old dogwood has bark peeling at the base. It looks to be in good health otherwise. What can I do to promote healing? With exposed areas what can I do to prevent insect infestation? And lastly should I be concerned since I don't really know the cause?

Comments (25)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Crcash, can u use photobucket or the like to post a picture?

Besides that, describe the tree's history more. Did ya buy a small potted one and plant it last spring, burlap one professionally planted? That type of things. Is it Cornus Florida? Or another?

This is like the first idea Dr House has so its likely to change but is it possible we are looking at graft failure? Most pink flowered native dogwoods are a grafted variety. Just a guess. Far as what to do, trim the wound clean and spray some tree specific insecticide on/near it then hope for the best. Beware any magic goo salesmen. Tree medical care is in its infancy.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Without more info, and probably pictures, any answers at this point would be shots in the dark. There are multiple threads about similar topics in this forum, but all vary slightly depending on the specifics. Take some good pictures and get back to us.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Ahem, some kousa dogwoods HAVE peeling bark. It is a feature of some cultivars like 'National'

Otherwise, pic needed

John

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Attached is a photo of the peeling bark. The tree otherwise looks very healthy. This will be the second year I've had it in the ground. Planted from container last spring.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Lack of a trunk flare hints it was planted too deeply. A fickle tree by nature, perhaps being planted too deep exacerbated the transplant shock. Did you water it often last year? Dogwoods being the natural understory/woodland edge tree they are, need lots of water during establishment. Not to the point of making the soil soggy all the time, though. Prognosis does not look good. I would not even bother replanting this one. Look for replacement this fall and enjoy this one this year if it makes it.

John

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's discouraging to say the least. So, there's nothing I can do to promote healing of the bark?

• arktrees
    12 years ago

All you can do is provide good care. Do find out how deep the root flare is though. I agree you are likely to lose this tree, but stranger things have happened. But I would be planning now for a replacement. Whatever happens, it's an excellent op to learn so that you have better chances of success next time. I myself killed a couple before I learned to deal with out clay soil, but it spurred me to learn more about soils, and now my success rate is very good.

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

crcash, I feel I should add I have not successfully grown a dogwood to date. I killed all 3 I planted last year. I changed some of my planting methods and planted another one last fall. Remember, you are not an expert until you have killed 3 (or more) of something!

John

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

You haven't been careless with a string trimmer or mower, have you? ;-)

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No. But the area gets a lot if sun. Could it be sunscald? My hope is that it will survive an infestation and heal itself. It hasnt had an effect on the new buds. They are on every branch and look ready to bloom.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Nope, doesn't look like sunscald. If the other side looks anything like the side we can see, the tree's a goner. Even if the other side looks good, that tree is still in BAD shape. My recommendation would be to prune it at ground level and be done with it. Sorry for the bad news.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

He is crcrash's pic...

{{gwi:332014}}

Could be mechanical. And there is what appears to be at least the start of a root flare. Perhaps mishandled at the nursery and showing up now? Something else amiss with the roots besides planted too deep? The cracks in the bark higher up are not a good sign.

tj

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

The second and third pics are telepoled. Thought they were the dogwood too. I was wondering how that damage from the first pic wasn't showing up in the next two. They are different trees cash?

John

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Actually, the cracks above the missing bark don't really mean much more, in this case. The wound is quite large and there is absolutely no vascular support for the area where the cracks occur. The area is dead and the cracks are a result of that. A lack of cracks above the large, weathered wound would only mean they hadn't showed up yet.

• hortster
    12 years ago

If 2/3 of the cambial tissue/bark is gone, PLANT A NEW TREE at the right depth or go to another species. Nasty. Very little chance of recovery. Geez. Why continue the misery?
    hortster

• farmboy1
    12 years ago

Animals, especially hungry rabbits?

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No I think just stress and maybe planted too deep based on the comments that I'm hearing. I have three rubra planted in a group. This is the center one. The other two only have slight damage at the base, nowhere near the damage in the picture. If I remove this tree and plant another, what would be a good selection? South Carolina, Zone 7, acidic soil in full sun.

• hortster
    12 years ago

If you have a group of three C. rubra you might replant the same for visual continuity, but be sure the replacement is planted and maintained correctly. Looks more like a non-parasitic type of damage vs. disease, in which case you could try again. Just curious - is that a piece of plastic cord going around the base? Girdling root? Or just a piece of wood?
    hortster

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's a piece of bark that has not peeled all the way off. I'm guessing that dogwoods are just difficult to maintain. I will most likely let this one bloom out then do the deed when the leaves fall next winter. Sound good?

• krnuttle
    12 years ago

"Dogwoods are difficult to maintain"

That depends on where you are. We live in Eastern Carolina, and dogwoods grow like weeds. After having lived in northern Indiana it was so contrary to what I "knew" that it took several years to accept the different growing habits in the new area.

• arktrees
    12 years ago

Dogwoods can be tough to get established, and will never be drought tolerant. However once established they can do very well in full sun, but watering the area around the tree in droughty type weather would benefit them.

I have planted several dogwoods, and I have one now. That one took 3 years before I could cut back to "normal" watering. The others I lost due to drought, and my S.O. not watering it, another to a borer, and then two were developing possible anthracnose, so I removed them as this disease has not been a problem in my area, and I did not want to be responsible for it becoming a possible problem. I examined the roots of all of them after removal of the failed plantings, the in all cases the roots had grown surprising little. Point being, they are slow to recover a full functioning root system IMHO, and will require attention for several years after planting.

Arktrees

• strobiculate
    12 years ago

based on the picture, I would have to agree that you no longer have borers, but that you once did. See those little squigglies that look like inebriated larvae fed themselves till they were fat and sassy?

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Attached is Picture of the group of three dogwoods. The one in the center is the one with the damaged bark. My question is if I remove the center dogwood, what would be a good replacement? Should I try another rubra, or maybe some shrubbery? Or, another flowering tree that would compliment? I am in SC Zone 7 with acidic soil. The area gets lots of sun. The tree to the left is a coral bark japanese maple.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

remove it ...

who knows how long it might live.. but it will die.. sooner or later ...

the damage could have been pre-existing at purchase.. but did not manifest itself until after the stress of transplant ... or even potting or ball and burlap in the first place ...

that damage is WWWAAAYYYY!!!! beyond sunscald ... it may have been part of the equation.. but it is not the sole cause ... almost looks like a beaver came by and took a nip .. and i will presume.. that aint possible.. lol ...

boy it looks like you have a nice sized property there ...

as to your groups of 3 ... whatever ... i know the theory ... i usually ignore such ... i would have planted the three more around the yard [i have 5 acres] .. to create a backbone for the larger landscape.. rather than investing the cost of three ... in a small area ...

why are you insistent on a grouping of 3 ...

thinking outside the box you are in.. get rid of the sickly one.. and move one of the others 50 feet away .. and look for some other plants. .. to fill in around a given single plant ...???

the problem with groupings.. as you have learned.. is when one of them dies .. and then you are left with a lack of balance.. and two usually doesnt work ... so you are left with dealing with 'filling in' ... and trying again.. on what might be a plant that is hard to deal with ...

think outside your box.. and good luck

if there is any chance.. that there is a warranty involved .. exercise it ASAP ...

ken

• crcash2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, no warranty!
    Also, All of that open field isn't my property, it is vacant lots that have yet to sell, and probably won't. The trees are actually a couple of feet off the property line. The cryptomeria you see in the back is back corner of the lot (about .5 acres total).