Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawb3rry_gw

New to gardening - Privacy tree advice for deck

Strawb3rry
10 years ago

Hello,

I've been reading these forums religiously after we got our new little deck built & still can't decide what tree would make an effective privacy screen when planted in containers. We are unable to plant trees behind the deck due to limited space there unfortunately. -.-

Our deck is 10x12 & I was hoping to find suitable plants for container gardening to screen the back of the deck (12 foot in length). We were hoping for something reasonably tall to give us some privacy from neighbors (7-10 feet).

We are zone 6b & have considered:
-Emerald Green Arborvitae
-Degroot Spire
-Japanese Maples
-Butterfly Bushes
-Lilacs

It's important that they would be safe around dogs. So far I have read mixed reviews about the arborvitaes in containers. Since it is such an investment to buy taller trees from the beginning, any knowledge on what might be most effective would be appreciated, thank you so much. :)

Comments (7)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

How limited is the space behind the deck? Taylor junipers get quite tall--20 plus feet and stay extremely narrow--2 feet or so.

• Strawb3rry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply laceyvail :)

Behind the deck is extremely limited due to underground cables there, so it's pretty much not an option for us sadly.

Thanks for recommending the Taylor juniper, if I could make it work with containers & pruning to keep them a bit smaller they would be perfect! :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

will the deck be impervious to water .. since most plants of the type you wish.. want full drainage ... meaning water under the pots ...

wouldnt want your new deck to rot out due to large pots....

and how big are you thinking on pots.. for a plant that is the 7 to 10 feet tall you wish ... i am thinking 2 to 3 feet .... which means ... they will be taking away a lot of floor space ...

and also.. at that height... they will tip over in wind ... in pot that tends toward the smaller size ...

i really think ... your design should figure out a better way .. to accomplish the privacy you wish ....

w/o a pic.. and knowledge of zoning laws.. i am not able to figure out many options ... other than a vertical canvas screen.. that could be hooked up when you are on the porch,.,. but otherwise stowed away ...

see link ... floor space used... counted in inches .... if any as it might be built out of the deck structure ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: like the 4th and 18th pix

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

I don't think you can pull off your request without having very large pots that will take up most of the deck, as ken mentioned.

You said you can't plant on the ground due to underground cables. What type of cables? Any chance you could build a raised bed? Would be vastly easier to create a raised bed with enough container volume to plant such a tall trees, rather then doing it on top of the porch.

Try to upload a picture so we can understand what we are dealing with here.

• Strawb3rry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Ken & SC77 for your responses.

You both have helped me figure out what to do! :) You are exactly right about the large pots & Kens idea of a canvas screen got me thinking of alternatives. The raised planter bed would be fantastic if we had the space there, it's a great idea SC77. I will certainly be using that idea in other parts of the garden :)

We decided we'll get a moveable outdoor privacy screen & perhaps some deck railing planters for some flowers with a bit of height for the sides together as a tree alternative.

I was so set on trees but this should suffice for privacy & be much more manageable as you've put it into perspective. Really appreciate the time you all took to help & such detailed responses, thank you so much :)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I've seen references to outdoor curtains that can be used for privacy or as a sun shade, but a wooden lattice or lattice-topped fence panel might work also unless it isn't allowed. You could also perhaps add vines planted in the ground off the corner away from your underground cables or in large planters. If you fasten trellises to the deck railing you could encourage them run across to give flower height. Clematis (jackmanii or 'Betty Corning' or the two together would be good choices) and Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler' (a red-flowered native honeysuckle) are perennial or scarlet runner beans or morning glory are annuals that will get tall.

• Strawb3rry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you nhbabs for your reply. That's also an excellent idea, just made a coffee so I will be researching the plants you recommended while taking a break :) We have the railing so it would be very possible like you said to grow something away from the back of the deck. Thank you, it's nice to know there are certainly a few options to consider.