Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spartan Juniper sizes

Posted by Viktor99 Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 22:33

Hi, everyone! My wife and I have purchased Spartan Junipers to make a screen for our back yard, but we're a little confused, now, on spacing them correctly. Some sites say that these trees get 3 to 4 feet in diameter while others say 5 to 10 feet in diameter. We've also read that the spacing should be 3 to 4 feet apart while others say4 to5 and even 6 feet apart.

Do these Spartans grow differently in different zones?
How do I know what the spacing should really be?

Any help would really be helpful. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spartan Juniper sizes

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 10:49

If you are making a hedge you put them closer than is you were spacing for full development anyway. This one is said to grow 20' tall, although since it is not said to be a dwarf I would expect it to get bigger in time. A.L. Jacobson says in North American Landscape Trees (1996, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley) that it can clearly be seen to be a Rocky Mountain juniper (or maybe an eastern red cedar) and not a Chinese juniper, despite being sold as the latter.

o

when screening.. budget is the only real limit ...

do you want it immediate.. then buy enough to do the job ... and plant them to get the job done ...

if you can wait.. you can go much cheaper.. smaller.. and spaced out..

they arent going to murder each other.. being too close ... nor too far ...

its all up to you..

see link for the potential of your plant.. presuming all the pix are spartan ...

they are conifers.. treat them as such ...

proper watering for 2 years.. i what success is based on .. not to mention PROPER planting.. and mulching ....

brandon.. link them to planting guide.. i gotta run

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 10:53

o

I've experimented with aspect for getting the best performance out of my Spartan Junipers , relocating the first of three in a row -- behind the house along the fence line and not getting full sun but soil conditions were right.
Actually it made a big difference so I added one on either side. approx 5' apart all grew very well and lush for years until I realized the spacing was wrong... fungal blight was causing the needles to rust in the lower branches. What the junipers need is more air circulation and sun to dry the wetness out quicker.They're not dying but the lower branches had to be trimmed Now I need an underplanting. The screen idea wasn't perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here