Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Another Aesculus question...

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Aesculus turbinata...how does it do re: keeping it's foliage through the summer as compared to others? Does it get the scorch too?

Comments (7)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I'll be able to tell you after mine is established. I grew several from seed three years ago in a nursery bed that showed scorch, however they were young & tender & in full sun. Last summer I I planted one to my landscape and the scorch has lessened quite a bit.

One comment......wow do these grow fast from seed. I mean 2 feet the first year on the most vigorous of the batch. A slight botanical difference in mine: I grew AT var. pubescens.

Dax

• arbordave (SE MI)
    10 years ago

I don't have any first-hand experience with turbinata, but Reeseville Ridge Nursery's (WI) catalog has this description: "A beautiful Horse Chestnut with great ability to withstand our dry summers and the drought of 1988 with all the foliage in great shape. A real standout when most Aesculus are bald in August from scorch and dry wind."

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I grew both from Reeseville for 3 years and both faired poorly in my sandy soil compared to my other Aesculus. I just didn't have the patience so I got rid of both. Other cultivars with A. octandra parentage have better fall color.

Not sure why these are both listed as zone 4. Johnsons Nursery was growing these for a little bit but no longer offers them. Not sure if they had issues or no demand.

Aesculus turbinata
    Japanese Horse Chestnut
    A beautiful Horse Chestnut with great ability to withstand our dry summers and the drought of
    1988 with all the foliage in great shape. A real standout when most Aesculus are bald in August
    from scorch and dry wind. Zone 4. Treepots 6.00

Aesculus turbinata pubescens
    Chinese Horse Chestnut
    In form, this tree is similar to European Horse Chestnut. Its advantage is much better tolerance to
    Drought This was one of two species of tree Aesculus to hold leaf through our severe droughts of
    1988 and 1991. Zone 4. Treepots 6.00

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I'll stick with A. flava (octandra) as I have seen first-hand that they do well here.

• kevin_5
    10 years ago

A. turbinata does great here in Illinois. No leaf problems at all, and holds its leaves through the fall, which is not true of A. flava. Very fast grower. I love the large leaves and flowers.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin - A. flava (Yellow Buckeye) doesn't hold it's leaves until fall for you?

That's odd, considering it typically does here in Maryland (it's not even native here). They get a bit tattered, but nothing like A. glabra or A. hippocastanum, both of which are basically bare by Labor Day.

• kevin_5
    10 years ago

No, mine are the earliest to drop leaves of the horsechestnuts on my property--Autumn Splendor, Homestead, A. pavia, A. chinensis, A. turbinata, A. flava. I don't have any glabra, which gets scorched up by August here.