Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prisilita

Royal Poinciana Tree Dying?

Prisilita
12 years ago

Random branches of my Royal Poinciana tree have died. Before the branches dried completely, the leaves on these branches started to develop small brown/black dots until they turn yellow and fell. I thought it could be some kind of fungal disease. The branches are dying from the outside to the inside of the tree towards the main branch. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Anything I can do? I pruned the dead branches but more are starting to dry/die.

Comments (34)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

The branches are dying from the outside to the inside of the tree towards the main branch.

===>>> how did you come to this conclusion ..

i think we need pix.. to get anywhere with this ...

words alone are not going to work ..

if you cant do a picture .. call your county extension office as ask them if you can bring in a branch.. or if someone can visit

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pix

• Prisilita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Ken I am new to the forum and gardening. The link was helpful. I will try to post pics later today. I came to the conclusion that the branches are dying that way because they start drying and changing to a darker color and leaves dying from that direction. When I look inside the branches I pruned it has small black dots that's why I thought it was some kind of fungus. :(

12 years ago

well WELCOME THEN ...

just under the bark.. is the green cambian layer.. it is the vascular system.. moving water and food thru the plant..

when that dies.. then you see what you are seeing ... drying.. etc ....

once a branch is dead.. it can be attacked by all kinds of pathogens.. that an otherwise healthy branch would ignore..

we have to ID the cause.. not the effect ... as there arent many things.. that can hurt a healthy tree .... from the outside in ... [and if there is some local plague... that is doing such.. the extension office would know about it ]

i suspected your newbie-ness.. and so i didnt want to rely on your ID of what is going on...

we can move forward with diagnosis.. with some pix ... words alone will never work

start working your head around the fact.. that it might have to go.. and that is natures way ... maybe we can save it.. but maybe we cant ... just dont get to emotionally invested in it .. or in the alternative.. start getting a hate on for it.. so that if it has to go.. you will be mad enough that it let you down.. that you can just get rid of it ...

ken

12 years ago

i dont know much about your zone.. but that all looks like superficial damage.. perhaps from a cold snap when the leaves were just emerging.. recall anything like that ...

that could also be one of the sucking insects like aphids.. but they would still be on the underside of the leaves.. did you look ...

second.. other than the blemishes.. it looks pretty happy ... it has vigor ..

third.. there is a proper season for transplant ... though i have no clue when that is in z10 .. so your planting timing may not have been precise ...

third.. smaller trees transplant easier.. perhaps it was not wise.. to let it get big.. before you moved it out of the pot ...

4th ... i have no clue if i am counting these right.. lol ... get more seed.. and keep trying..

to be frank [where is frank] ... you are a bit emotionally invested in these inanimate objects ... you have been VERY successful .... and yet.. all you want to do.. is worry about them ... i know its hard.. but try to overcome this ...

keep planting.. try for a more zen approach ... and dont sweat the details ... TOO MUCH ... odds are they will live..

finally.. unless someone from a closer zone pops in.. with more precise words of wisdom .... [i will try to contact him/her] ... contact your county extension office ...

i mean really i dont see any indication that it is dying ....

good luck

ken

• Prisilita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol Thanks Ken. Yes I am a bit emotional lol and I will overcome it.

I live in South Florida so really no cold snap this year we had like 2 days of winter lol

No bugs on this one, I do have a battle with whiteflies attacking my mango, palms and avocado trees....been hosing them off and spraying them with neem oil.

I have more seeds of Royal Poiniana so that's good if this one doesn't make it. I was more worried that it would be something that could spread to other plants. I have a red mombin fruit tree and some of the branches were drying like the Poinciana but otherwise healthy and giving fruit.

Thanks again so much for the info and I will contact the county extension office if more branches keep dying

12 years ago

i am still looking for whats his name.. lol

but i am pretty sure.. that your first problem.. is that you cant tell if those are compound leaves.. vs.. branches...

i dont have time to google it all for you.. but i THINK.. that whole structure you are calling a branch.. is in theory... ONE LEAF ...

and if so.. you are all wound up.. about one dead leaf ... to put some perspective on it ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: check it out ... add the tree name ... to the search

• Prisilita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So much to learn lol hmmm I will google

12 years ago

finally found salicaceae .. which i could not spell from memory for the life of me.. and sent them an email thru their members page.. and asked them to chime in ... [i googled salicaceae.. and its the willow family.. maybe i can remember that.. lol ...]

the link ... says it is sorta invasive in south FL.. but ok in mid and upper FL ...

a good way to learn.. is to take your common name to google.. and find the latin.. and then google the latin name .... and you will get much more SPECIFIC info in searching ... and then just keep opening links.. until you find one in the range of knowledge you like.. too many are so scientific they make my head spin.. but it usually doesnt take many links.. to find one right at the level which makes the lights of knowledge pop on ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Prisilita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep! Probably easier to remember the willow family lol Thanks.

Thanks for the links. I had done some of the search when I wanted to grow it from seeds and I found a lot of info. I searched Flamboyan that's how we called it in PR. There it grows everywhere without much effort. I wanted the one with yellow flowers but could not find seeds so I brought from the red flowers instead. Here in SF there's a lot them too only the red flower kind though I've seen the yellow in Tampa.

It bugs me that ths is the second time that this is happening to a pest resistant, rapid growing, easy to care for tree on my yard lol why! If it seems to grow everywhere without px's -I will let it be and see what happens.I understand what you said now about the compound leaves vs branches. The drying occurs in both.

Btw I found that there is a dwarf of this tree that you can grow on a pot, wow it must look beautiful.

I apologize for my " newbieness" I have questions regarding my others trees as well ( mango, avocado, red mombin) about fruit spraying/ pest management. I've done a lot of searches and read a lt of posts, you guys know your stuff and I trust your recommendations.

• salicaceae
    12 years ago

Where in Florida are you? These don't survive north of Tampa well due to cold. There are several diseases that attack them as well.

12 years ago

thx for showing willow ...

are you suggesting that MAYBE a cold snap at leaf extension.. could result in the pock markings of the leaves????

what happens up here in MI ... is that a frost on a hosta leaf.. can burst single cells inside of the leaf ... but it looks like nothing happened that day.. a few weeks later.. all these brown spots start appearing.. as those cells start browning.. leaving ugly .. but otherwise functional leaves ...

do you recall any of the citrus growers complaining of a cold snap.. back when this thing was leafing out ....

let us know if you get any info from the extension office ..

and i doubt you will ever know what happened to that one set of leaves.. just prune it out ...

ken

• Prisilita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL

• Prisilita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Btw I emailed my extension office this am

• pteroceltis
    12 years ago

That's about how the Silktrees (Albizia julibrissin) and Leadtrees (Leucaena leucocephala) look towards the end of summer in Tempe, AZ. Not familiar with poinciana except that it's a close relative of those two; maybe those are older leaves that the plant is about to evacuate in preparation for a flush of new growth?

• fiero
    10 years ago

"Prisilita" have you received any specific info? I am having the exact same problem.

• fiero
    10 years ago

"salicaceae" what are the diseases???

• Beverly
    10 years ago

I live in South Florida. Within the past week I noticed the attached picture with "spots" on the trunk of my RP Tree. They appeared quickly and may be spreading (note 3rd area without the center exacerbation).

I am extremely concerned and would appreciate any insight/direction. Thank you.

Beverly

10 years ago

bev.. you should have started your own post...

looks like animal damage ...or mechanical damage... the edges look torn.. on this pic ...rather than decayed.. as i would expect from a disease issue ...

it should heal itself.. NOTHING else to do.. IMHO ...

except try to figure out what is doing it... any puma in your area.. as it looks sorta like cat scratch damage.. but much larger ... and its the wrong season for buck damage ... unless its been there since fall .. and i am really guessing.. with your FL location and all ... maybe a maniacal manatee???? .. i think i should hit send ... lol

ken

• Terry-Henderson
    9 years ago

Prisilita, There is a good chance your tree will be fine. I have been growing these trees & giving them away for at least 15 years. It is normal for the leaves to turn yellow & fall off at different intervals (Although your brown leaves look a little different) I added a photo of one I am doing a Bonsai. It is approx 5 yrs old. Note the bare limb in the left rear. Leaves turned yellow & fell off. Limb will follow. I always grow them from new young trees growing beneath my 30 ft tree. When they are young, it is not unusual for all the leaves & limbs to fall off in the Winter & come bk in late Winter or early spring. My large tree is just now leafing & flowering. In trying to Bonsai the one in the photo, I completely cut the complete head off the past two Winters leaving just the thick stem, & you can see it has come bk strong. Good Luck. If you want to grow more try finding babies below a Mature tree (Still some rt now), start in a small pot & move up. Like a lot of water when they are young

• laurcat77
    8 years ago

I need serious help for my 4 year old Royal Poiinciana - frond leaves started falling off then I found a black hard shell bug just around the trunk base under top layer - how do i kill these bugs?

• Terry-Henderson
    8 years ago

I also live in South Fla & have grown many of these trees & given them away to see them grow large & prosper. I presently have a Huge one & a Bonsai. Your tree looks fine to me. Not sure how old it is. This time of year leaves turn yellow & begin to fall & if your tree is quite young (Yr or 2) its possible all the branches will fall off as well. Not to worry, by late winter you will get a flurry of new growth. Best of luck. My two are attached

• laurcat77
    8 years ago

i see a black beetle just below the ground - what can i use to kill these bugs and get my tree healthy

• laurcat77
    8 years ago

i haven't posted a pic of my tree

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Laurcat - it would be better to start your own thread. This one is very old and has been swapped between several people until it has become very confused.

As far as your beetle/bug is concerned it quite possibly has nothing to do with whatever issue your tree is having (which you don't picture).

So ... start a new thread and provide more information, including where you live, and I'm sure you'll get lots of help. Meanwhile leave the beetle alone. It is innocent until proven guilty.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out if ken was trying to tell the OP that her Poinciana was a willow, lol.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Yes, Delonix regia-the "royal poinciana"-is a magnificent thing, perhaps the single most beautiful tree in the world, by some reckoning. It is my understanding that although S. Florida is to their liking, they are actually from a still more tropical region and one where even the light frosts that FL encounters probably never happen. As such, this tree can be deciduous in S. Florida. Sal, see anything amiss in what I'm saying here?

For my part, I've found the Fabaceae to be a veritable treasure trove of amazing species. Just the popcorn cassia alone is almost too good to be true, this used as an "annual" up here in the north....one which simply never looks bad, and never quits blooming all summer long. But I digress.

I think your tree is fine also. I'm not sure if I understood correctly though....are you still growing it in a pot? It would be far, far better in the ground. BTW, much horizontal space will be needed should one or more of your trees survive. They grow sideways at least as much as upward.

+om

• davidhirschler
    6 years ago

Anyone know what this red streak is? This branch just randomly dropped today

• davidhirschler
    6 years ago

Also this crack appeared.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

David, this an ancient and confused thread. Please start your own thread and include information about where you are located and what species of tree you are asking about.

• davidhirschler
    6 years ago

Okay

• Debby Spagnol
    5 years ago
    Can anyone tell me what may be happening or why this tree looks like it is dying ? I have a photos of a healthy tree and a dying tree.

Thank you Debby
  • HU-216258998
    4 years ago

My RP survived two hurricanes in South Florida but never seemed to fully recover. It was probably 25' tall and otherwise healthy, but didn't fill out. had it "hat raracked" to lower the canopy and I know it will take time to come back, but it is far from dead. Local code enforcenforcement now wants me to remove and replace. Any advice??

• HU-144361057
    3 years ago

pls need someone to help me on my tree that was always healthy and flowering but all of a sudden this season it flowered and started looking dead , exactly as Debby‘s pics above . Should I cut the tree or what do I do , I would appreciate your help thx .