Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snasxs

Guess what tree this is

snasxs
16 years ago

This gorgeous ever-green tree grows to 30 meters tall (that is 99 feet). She tolerates -16 Celsius degree (that is 3 degree Fahrenheit). Her growing habit is similar to that of the Magnolia grandiflora, but her leaves are smaller and narrower which gives her an exotic appearance. Its blooms are smaller than grandiflora but truly spectacular. What is it?

{{gwi:332829}}

Comments (29)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Another magnolia. Manglietia, Michelia etc. now considered magnolias. See Magnolia Society web site.

• viburnumvalley
    16 years ago

If it is a VA native, then I'd say Magnolia virginiana var. australis, the more evergreen form of sweetbay magnolia.

There are some interesting forms of this plant available around the eastern US, as well as the old standby 'Henry Hicks'.

Don't know that I've seen any to 99 feet, though they reach much grander sizes here than most people believe when they plant them as a multistem shrub next to their patio. Then again, the Ohio River valley at zone 5b/6a isn't the Piedmont or Coastal Plain. These trees have tolerated/survived much lower temps, too, into the -20ºF range.

Which now makes me think your photo is of some other mag.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

viburn,

Judging from the picture, the leaves are somewhat similar. However, I think M virginiana grows to 20-30 feet which is a lovely size. I have a few on my property :-)

The ones in picture slowly grow to 100 feet.

Bboy, think of large mags  Â

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

The leaves don't look like any m. virginiana I've ever seen. I've still got some on my property that are about ?60' tall, but I had some much taller before the hurricane.
    Could this be the endangered m. schiedeana from eastern Mexico? It's supposed to grow in high altitudes and the flowers are only pollinated by certain beetles, but I'd still like to try it on my 100' elevation property, since magnolias all grow like weeds here.
    Louisiana Nursery used to carry it - I may call them to see if they still carry it. If it isn't TOO expensive, I may order one.
    Sherry

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

might this magnolia's species name be found by using some of the letters in the following sentence?

singin' is fun?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sherry,

The magnolia in picture is not schiedeana.

Correct me if I am wrong: tropical M schiedeana closely resembles M grandiflora; but she is much less cold-tolerant. If you have grandiflora, why would you want schiedeana?

I have a few questions:

I have to sniff close to detect the scent of my virginiana. How about yours?

Do you have any good viginiana pictures?

Jeff, lol. We are having fun here. I guess I left hints near gardenia.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Magnolia insignis?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Wiki pic of virginiana sweetbay shows detailed leaves.

{{gwi:332830}}

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I'd just like to try the Mexican version, because it's endangered - I could end up with the last one standing!
    I called Louisiana Nursery, and they don't carry it any more, and Forest Farm doesn't have it, either, at least it's not listed in my catalog.
    Sherry

• sam_md
    16 years ago

M. virginiana used to be called M. glauca for a good reason. The underside of the leaf is whitish. The first pic is clearly not M. virginiana.
    Sam

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sam is right. The Wiki picture clearly shows the whitish underside. Sherry, I think the Mexican version is for zone 9-11. There might not be enough demand for schiedeana in the US.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Callaway, World of Magnolias (1994, Timber Press):

"Magnolia schiedeana is the most northern of the Mexican magnolias; its range, therefore, is the closest to that of M. grandiflora, and it is the most likely tropical species for increased cultivation in the United States. Botanically the two species are close as well. They are the only two hexaploid (2n = 114) species in this section*, and they look so much alike they are easily confused. The main difference is that M. schiedeana is less pubescent and has smaller flowers than M. grandiflora. It is possible that M. schiedeana should be combined with M. grandiflora"

"M. schiedeana is in limited cultivation in the United States. It will grow in southern California and in the extreme southeastern United States"

*Section Theorhodon

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Hmmmm......if it's that close to m. grandiflora, then I guess there's not really any reason to grow it.
    Thanks for the info, bboy!
    Sherry

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So   the Magnolia in the first picture is neither M virginiana nor M schiedeana.

The endangered Magnolia is rare and cherished anywhere. What could she be?

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

If it's one of the Asian trees maybe:
    Magnolia kachirachirai
    or
    Magnolia phanerophlebia

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tree,

Those are endangered but they are not the ones in the first picture.

Up to half of the world's magnolia species are in danger of extinction, according to a new study by conservationists. While popular ornamental species continue to bloom in gardens, the flowering plants face a more precarious future in the wild as their native forest habitats are increasingly threatened by human activities.

The Red List of the Magnoliaceae, produced jointly by Botanic Gardens Conservation International (BGCI) and Fauna & Flora International (FFI) following a global mapping project by researchers at the UK's Bournemouth University, identifies 131 endangered species from a worldwide total of 245. Some two-thirds of magnolias are found in Asia but the subtropical plant also thrives in the parts of the U.S. and South America. For example, some of the species in Colombia are threatened by the development of coffee plantations or banana plantations. And on top of that there's exploitation of certain species. Some of them are used medically and that places an extra strain on the species. Others are used for timber and some of them are edible as well. Many of the most critically affected species are found in China, including Magnolia phanerophlebia, of which only around 200 trees are estimated to exist in the wild and Magnolia sinica, believed to have a single population of fewer than 10 mature trees. Both species grow exclusively in Yunnan province -- now the focus of an extensive re-planting campaign organized by FFI.

"We hope to be able to extend this work to take action for other species, both in China and in other parts of the world." said Georgina Magin, Global Trees Campaign Coordinator at FFI. "I think botanical gardens can provide a good insurance policy, by bringing them into cultivation as a way of making sure they don't go completely extinct, but we want them to be secure in the wild as well," she said. "We've got to protect their habitats as well. As well as helping to safeguard the future of a plant that has been cultivated by humans for centuries -- some specimens growing in Chinese temples are estimated to be up to 800 years old -- magnolias are a useful subject of study for conservationists because, as one of the oldest species of flowering plants, they provide a good indicator to the overall health of the wider forest. They are an ancient family. They've survived all sorts of geological and climactic upheavals in the past -- so now we know their status and we've mapped them we can use them to monitor what happens to the forests in the future."

• treelover3
    16 years ago

So, what is it?
    Thanks,
    tl³

• kman04
    16 years ago

It's definitely a Magnolia in section Manglietia. It looks more like Magnolia yuyuanensis to me. The leaves look too narrow and elongated to be M. insignis and the leaves bent upwards in such a sharp V like shape along the mid-vein aren't typical of M. insignis, but I believe from the hints given that's indeed the species it is and the foliage might just look different because the photo looks like it's on a young vigorous plant, which often don't produce typical foliage of more mature specimens. Also, if it produces red flowers, it's definitely not M. yuyuanensis.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will reveal the answer next week.

Kman, I admire your knowledge. However, sometimes, the color of Magnolia flowers can be tricky. The image below is an M yuyuanensis. Each flower should have 9 petals. The outer 3 is green. The inner 3 is creamy white. The other 3 Â they can be any color "in between", reddish in this case :-)

{{gwi:332832}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A myth comes true.

The red lotus tree was a plant in Greek mythology bearing a fruit that caused a pleasant drowsiness. This fruit was reported to be the only food of an island people called the Lotus-Eaters. In HomerÂs Odyssey those of Odysseus' men who ate the fruit lost all desire to leave the island and had to be forced away.

The petals of the red lotus tree are indeed edible. The gorgeous ever-green tree grows to 30 meters tall (that is 99 feet). She tolerates -16 Celsius degree (that is 3 degree Fahrenheit). Her growing habit is similar to that of the Magnolia grandiflora, but her leaves are smaller and narrower which gives her an exotic appearance. Its blooms are smaller than grandiflora but truly spectacular. In most of her distribution range, from India to Vietnam, the tree yields white flowers.

Extraordinarily, Magnolia insignis found in their northern distribution display a blooming color that is never seen in any Magnolia plants, deciduous types included. They are tomato red, rose red and deep cherry red. The flower is not just colorful, it is also intoxicatingly scented. Guess what the fragrance profile is - hehe sweet melon!

To bring out the best color of your red lotus magnolia, chose a clone from a red-flowered individual. Keep the environment as cool as possible during blooming. The colder the temperature, the deeper the redness. Gladly, they start to show buds in winter.

Click here for an image of a truly red lotus tree

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Garden centers here have bought these from Piroche Plants in the past, but the largest I have seen is in the Seattle arboretum and may be of independent origin. Don't remember if it is the "red" (a bit hyperbolic) form, may not have seen it in bloom. Anyway, I would not call the habit "gorgeous", so far it seems it is a comparatively sparse thing with the leaves developing a sort of stiff, claw-like presentation on the tree. A few other evergreen Asian species I have seen persist here have produced a more full and soft appearance.

I planted a small "red" lotus tree in amongst some taller trees in Island County, WA (colder and drier than here) to be sure it was sheltered but it has dawdled, probably too much competition and dryness. My neighbor to the south of us here also got one (on my recommendation) at a local garden center but stuck it near her front lawn, where cold air may collect in winter (I have told her to wrap it during cold spells). So far it has sparse, poorly colored foliage - probably needs more nitrogen and may not be getting watered enough (a bay laurel in a nearby raised bed is growing like a weed). Many magnolias planted in our glacial soils and dry summers exhibit this same appearance.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bboy, did you click the link? There is an image of a mature and blooming tree in it.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bboy,

Do your trees look like these in the picture?

(Please do not re-use this image without my permission.)
    {{gwi:332834}}

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

You're not showing anything new to me here - although looking at their individual leaves one might wonder if the seedlings crammed together in the hedge-like rows - producing an impression of density - in the bottom picture really are the same species. Likely most buying something like this would visualize and hope for a plant looking more like a red Camellia japonica. Scattered blooms consisting of white tepals suffused red (when conditions are right) on a slender tree with comparatively long internodes and leaves retained 2(?) years don't quite fit the bill.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bboy,

I find M insignis lovely and exotic. Each leaf is about 4" by 10". The lovely bright flowers open to about 8" wide.

Are they over priced? Well, I am not a vendor so I have no clue. Please post some pictures of your trees. I donÂt quite understand what you are talking about. Baby trees require shade. However juvenile and older trees grow better under full sun. I suspect your trees are leggy because of poor care (lol).

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Believe it or not there are some people who don't have digital cameras or don't care to donate photos to this site.

Speaking of posting pictures of trees, when are you going to identify all of yours?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bboy,

The trees are not crammed together in the bottom picture. There are two lines of Magnolias extending into the picture (far away). The actual distance between two adjacent trees is the same as the distance between the two rows. This distance can be estimated by looking at the front (left side of the picture) of the two lines.

Speaking of posting pictures of trees, I thought you have identified all of them. If you kindly point out the posts which I might have forgotten, I would be happy to get back to them.
    Would you mind emailing your pictures to me?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bboy, if you tell me where your farm is, I will go take some pictures.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bboy, do you really have any? Spring is a good time for Mag TLC. Judging by the picture, the environment is humid. The soil looks acid and rich. The mulch looks very thick.