Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireweed22

Do any tree species survive being planted too deep?

fireweed22
10 years ago

Unique situation. I have a small forest of Populus tremuloides, and planning to move two of them (14-15'). No cost, and worth the work to have a couple nice ones moved.
It is windy here and they will need serious staking for a year or likely 2+ depending on how they establish.

Now I fully understand how and why to plant trees at original grade with most any tree species. But how about species such as willows that readily sprout roots from wood? Might it help with faster establishment, in this case like an anchor in this windy location? Like tomato planting.
How about poplars? Would it hurt or possibly be of benefit?
Thanks.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

to anchor a tree that size.. you would need to be talking about burying it 2 or 3 feet deep... wouldnt you???

the poplar family grows so fast.. i dont know why you would fool around with that big a transplant... it will take years to get re-established

whereas one half the size.. would take half the time...

i know you want instant gratification ... but i would suggest you go for what is better for the tree .. it will be easier all around ...

no... i would not change the grade ... thats too much work to fail for that reason.. IMHO

ken

• fireweed22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need wood strong enough to tie a rope to, at about 10'.
    One 5 footer was planted three years back, looks like at least 5 more years until it's ready.
    Yes I do want instant gratification, but only if it's likely to work. I am a tree nerd and know better, but this scenario isn't something I've ever heard of and figured might actually be completely legit.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Rope from 5-6' to anchors in the ground at least 6-7' away...3-4 should be enough. That's what the pros do for large trees. Burying the tree to anchor it is a very poor alternative. Even if the tree does survive, it will doubly impacted (reduced and suffocated rootball). Populus and Salix may be 'more' tolerant of deep planting but within reason...maybe 3-6".

Remove the stabilizing after 2 or 3 growing seasons.

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

I suspect some small shrubby trees that grow from runners might survive it. Beach Plum is OK with getting buried by blown sand, so presumably as long as the soil is sandy and not wet it could survive it.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I say go for it. Populus sprout from the trunk when buried. It's called advantageous rooting. I've seen Cottonwood trees buried over 6 ft. with floodwater silt and do fine.
    Quaking Aspen should do likewise. What have you got to lose? They sprout up all over around an existing one and are readily available in most areas. Limiting their spread is the usual concern.
    Mike

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Mike, I think you meant write adventitious rooting, no? In any case, the reality is that floodplain species are the most tolerant to being planted too deeply-elms, some ashes, willows, etc. Even then, I have to be honest, I think this whole idea is whack. Poplars are colonial. Any one stem is of little consequence to the "tree's" survival. Cut down a stand of aspen-what do you get? New aspen sprouts from the roots, thicker than the hair on a dog. Furthermore, as Ken has already pointed out, growth is so rapid on trembling aspen that size of transplant truly doesn't matter. Just find a sprout-you probably won't even be able to find a truly separately growing plant-and sever it from its parent root. Plant it and forget about it. You'll have a sizeable tree in five years, if not fewer.

I know, ask me how I really feel, lol!

+oM

• fireweed22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After thinking about it I can definitely see it rooting without concern, but once established the above ground tree quite likely failing (insect or disease hitting the underground trunk) and 20 sprouts coming up. Leaving me with plenty of regret.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Even then, the colonial nature of this species would likely mean a sprout or three (or six) coming up elsewhere, any one of which could be made into the new tree. But at that point, you would have done more work than is necessary just to get a popple tree started.

And don't think I don't like aspen, er popple. All good early-succession species tend to come in great numbers, live fast, and die young (in the big city) or in the countryside. But the colony persists, oftentimes in such a manner that all the action is out along the edge somewhere, the middle having died and that space having changed over to second-wave species that can take a little shade. All across the northland you can see that very dynamic in play: Maturing aspen, starting to deteriorate, but meanwhile, little spruce, fir, pine, and other species filling in at the ground level, able to get their start under the dying aspen matrix. Extremely commonplace, and a good thing it is!

+oM

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz