Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don Leopold - Dendrology Videos

Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 2:59

Hi Folks,

I thought you guys would enjoy this YouTube link.

Don Leopold, a professor of environmental and forest biology, has over 135 1-2 minute long videos on different native/non-native trees in the Upstate NY region. Many of the trees are commonly planted in the Eastern US. I like reading about trees, but sometimes it's nice listening to someone gab about trees too. Sort of like preaching to the choir.

Does anyone else have any good video links?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dendrology - Don Leopold by SUNY-ESF Television

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don Leopold - Dendrology Videos

Very interesting.

I have a question though to the greater group - I happened to pick the red maple one to watch and he said red maple trees are dioecious (trees are male or female). I don't think that is entirely true. I can find references to them being "polygamo-dioecious" which is a less absolute way of describing them.

o

He also claims pinus ponderosa is the most important pine for timber in north america. I had always thought the eastern pines like p. strobus and p. taeda were more valuable for timber than any western pines because of superior growth rate and growing conditions.

Still, I do enjoy his vids. I stumbled upon them about a month ago and have watched many of them.

John

o

It's a good service he's done, I'm not discounting that. I had just not heard of maples being described that way. Although I have since found a reference that 'Autumn Blaze' is considered to be a clone with only male flowers, not sure if that is true either ....

o

My trees tagged as 'Autumn Blaze' have flowered and produced samaras in the past. All 5 of the larger ones I purchased did this. The flowering was very sporadic and the samaras were very small, much smaller than either rubrum or saccharinum. I have no idea if any germinated. I also have a smaller one in the 8-10' range that has not flowered yet.

o

Pinus ponderosa has become the most important timber pine as the eastern pines have been logged off - much wider distribution than the pines on plantations in the south. And Hortus Third says the genus Acer is 'commonly unisexual'

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 15:57

Psuedotsuga menziesii, Douglas Fir is the tree that produces the most timber for lumber. At least I read that somewhere a few days ago.
Here's some of mine.
Mike

o

Mike, he does mention something similar to that in his video of douglas fir.

Ah yes, he says "it is the most important timber species in the US"

Here is a link that might be useful: DF

o

• Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 13:29

Anyone else have video links for tree lovers?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 0:53

Red maple comes in all male, all female and combinations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here