Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Stake Through The Heart?

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 3:05

Ok, I am getting really sick of having to upright many of my large potted trees that I line my driveway and patio with during the summer. Storms or just windy days tip many over, even though they are in containers about 24" to 30" diameter.

I think I am going to stake them. Through the root ball and bottom of the pot would be less obvious, but better along the side of the pot to avoid hitting any larger roots?

The on-concrete guys will need a different approach, probably weights in the pots of some kind.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Stake Through The Heart?

only for you denni

took me 30 minutes to find the pic ... no comment at the staking effort ...

but those orange posts .... were used.. by the prior owner for an electric fence ... about 3 to 4 feet long.. maybe 5/8 inch rod .... triangle at the bottom to step on it.. to push it in..

flip over.. insert down side of pot.. straight out the bottom drain hole.. perhaps two on the sides dealing with the prevailing winds... WILL HOLD ANY POT UPRIGHT ... though i never took a picture of such ...

no idea what to do with the driveway ...

ken

photo PiceaorientalisSkylands051607008.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: another 5 minutes.. i dont know why they need to be steel.. it was what was free in my barn ... i suppose any stout bamboo rod will do it.. but these wont rot ... perhaps its the thin-ness compared to length .... due to such.. they should slide right past roots ...

o
here is my other method ....

here is my other method .... for smaller pots.. pretty self explanatory ...

i got these nursery totes somewhere ... hard to find these days ....

but the trick is making a solid mass out of a bunch of smaller mass ...

and i think. part of your problem is the round pot.. i am sure.. you have seen larger trees at the nursery in large wooden SQUARE crates ... the totes do the same thing.. using a non-round base..

your base issue.. consistent with your title.. is that you need to go straight thru the heart of the root mass.. note i slide down the pot edge.. inside .... there is no reason to kill it like a vampire .. lol ..

ken

photo Rootings050207003.jpg

photo Rootings050207002.jpg

o
RE: A Stake Through The Heart?

den, when you decide what to stake them with, spray paint them black. That will make them disappear in the mind's eye. Even green will stand out more than black.

As for the containers that you have sitting on concrete, I guess that ballast of some sort will be required unless you construct a square frame that you can slip over the containers. I assume that you're interested in aesthetics, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here