Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to transplant corkscrew willows

Posted by andreavermeulen South Africa (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 4:26

Hi There,

I need to transplant 2 large (approx 8m tall) corkscrew willows and would like to know when is the best time for this. I stay in Gauteng, South Africa and we are approaching the end of summer but it is still pretty hot, we do get a bit of frost round about june/july.

I didn't realise how big these trees get when I planted them and need to relocate them seeing that they are to close to water pipes and drains. I would also like to know, when I dig them out can I cut some of the roots?? It is planted next to paving and I am worried that the roots have grown underneath the paving.

Please advise, thank you!!!
Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to transplant corkscrew willows

Ideally when they are dormant. It's ok to cut roots during transplant.

o

in general.. willow roots rather freely ... google PROPAGATION OF CORKSCREW WILLOW ....

i would root up a bunch.. and then be done with a 26+ foot tall tree .... or two

is that really within your physical capabilities????

ken

o

I agree with Ken - these are awfully large to attempt to transplant easily. Too much work!! Willows do root extremely easily and there is still plenty of time before they go dormant to stick a few cuttings into the ground and have them take. Usually it is only a matter of a few weeks before they root.

You should know that if you remove the existing trees, just cutting them down may not solve your problem. Most willows, and corkscrews in particular, will resprout readily from the stump. And even cut trees without any noticeable new topgrowth may continue to produce roots that can invade plumbing. A corkscrew that was removed from my old property created a plumbing nightmare nearly 15 years after its removal. Best to dig out the stump and as much of the root system as you can manage.

o

Thank you for the advise!!

I've decided to try and transplant the trees(luckily we've got lots of hands to help)as well as to root some for back-up.

Have a wonderful day, we just had lovely morning showers and the sun is shining beautiful now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here