Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_james

Silver maple seeds edible

l_james
12 years ago

I was reading in the Missouri Conservation magazine and it gave a short suggestion that silver maple seeds are ediible.

Does anyone know anymore about this?

Comments (6)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I haven't heard this one, but if you find out something, please let us know. Looks like a real bumper crop here this year, the record rain last year left the trees loaded with buds. Now, the early warmth has made them pop like crazy.

It would be nice to know they were good for something. I can usually fill a few garbage cans full easily.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

google shows many suggestions ...

but to go thru all that boiling or toasting .. for something that tastes like a raw been.. isnt the world i live in.. lol ...

regardless of my world.. you knock yourself out ... but start by INSURING YOUR ID IS CORRECT ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Hah! Before I took it down two winters back, our big silver-the largest in town-supplied me with enough seeds to get the snow shovel out for the driveway! I wish I was kidding. I'm not.

+oM

• terrene
    12 years ago

The big Silver Maple located at the front corner of my house is SUCH a prolific seed-maker! Noticeably more than the other Silver maples that grow in the area. Last year it made so many seeds, every gutter around the entire house was filled with about 1 - 2 inches of samaras (requiring yet another gutter-cleaning).

However, the October snowstorm clobbered this tree because it was still fully leafed out and it lost almost 1/2 of its canopy. I am actually really excited about this - more sun on the nearby garden, and less seeds in the gutters!

I didn't realize the seeds were edible for humans. The wildlife sure love them - I've observed squirrels, chipmunks, and Blue jays harvesting the seeds.

• bengz6westmd
    12 years ago

If they're like Norway maple seeds, they would be very bitter -- not poisonous, but pretty much inedible.

• l_james
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I roasted up some silver maple seeds today and ate them. First I gleaned the seeds from the still green whirly-birds, risnsed them in vinegar, roasted them at 325 for five miniutes then coated with olive oil and roasted them for 25 miniutes. They tasted similar to roasted pumpkin seeds. They set well.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert