-is impossible to eat

Comments (20)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Flowering Quince.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

are there others in the hood that are ARMED???

apparently you dont want to piss off a quince, man. it'll kill ya ... [of course those 2 inch dagger thorns dont help]

ken

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Couldn't it be crabapple?

• sam_md
    Original Author
    12 years ago

An unarmed tree such as this bears neither spines nor thorns. It does have however beautiful mottled, flaky bark. This is not Chaenomeles.
    apologies to Trini Lopez

Here is a link that might be useful: Impossible to eat

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

sam. I hate you. I'm going to have that song in my brain all day.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

btw.. i was not confirming the quince ID.. it doesnt remind me of mine..

i was just making a joke.. lame as it might be ..

ken

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Seriously though ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Chaenomeles

• sam_md
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some more clues:

-This of often a single-stemmed tree.
    -Today it is in it's own genus, not Chaenomeles
    -The genus is unarmed
    -This is not the commercial quince. The large fruit is
    wonderfully fragrant, but I've never tried to eat it.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Pseudocydonia sinensis?

• hortster
    12 years ago

Does the "wonderfully fragrant fruit" produce the scent before or after it is opened/cut? On the tree? I'm assuming so since you haven't tried to taste it.
    hortster

• sam_md
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bingo! and we have a winner in denninmi. Pseudocydonia makes a smallish, upright tree with great fall color, caution - it is vulnerable to fireblight.
    In October I bring the large fruits inside and put them in a bowl, their fragrance fills the whole room. They last for several weeks.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Great idea on the fruit! I have three of these and can never figure out what to do with the fruit, which is sometimes enormous (if I don't remove some of them they will break the branches). Some people make jelly with it but I don't do preserves. I will do as you suggest next time! Thx.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is not the commercial Quince which is grown in orchards. I don't see why one couldn't cut or hack up the fruit with a cleaver, cook it up and make jelly. The raw fruit has a really great fragrance. Otherwise, it is hard on the lawn mower.
    {{gwi:333166}}

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Chaenomeles = flowering quince
    Cydonia = common quince
    Pseudocydona = Chinese quince

• lkz5ia
    11 years ago

Aegle = Bengal quince

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

The Aegle has landed.

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

Have two young Pseudocydonia seedlings (~6 yrs old) growing in my yard - the fall color display is spectacular orange-red.
    No flowers or fruit, yet, from these, and they've not yet begun to develop the attractive exfoliating bark - but I've seen photos that rival the appearance of some of the best crepe myrtles and eucalyptus.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic of the subject of this thread. I took this today at the Nat'l Bonsai Collection @ Nat'l Arboretum. Some fruits are developing at the top. This is a really splendid collection of bonsai.
    {{gwi:333167}}

• calliope
    9 years ago

I grow the cydonia, have two of them in my orchard. They are also very prone to fireblight, but have kept it under control for about ten years now without chemicals. Typically one does not refer to quince trees as flowering quince. It is reserved for the spiny, shrubby Chaenomeles. I do indeed make jellies and leathers from mine, and quince trees were a very common tree in years past because they, like crabapples, are high in pectin and used for jelly making either alone or in combination with other fruits. To say a fruiting quince is flowering is ......uhm...redundant. Most fruit trees flower, no? My friend, who propagated these trees for me also grows the pseudocydonia, I believe. This year, I am overstocked with fruit and am not making jellies from them, but find willing takers amoung the older farm ladies in this community. One cannot find quince at markets and the one time I found them at farmer's market about ten years ago, cost seven dollars for a small basket of them just large enough for a run of jelly. The flowers of both the quince tree and the asian version are exquisite and enough reason to plant them. Ditto with the fruit being very fragrant.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This pic shows the mottled bark of Pseudocydonia sinensis. If you don't have quince fruit readily available for jelly just buy some like I did. Commercial jelly is probably made from Cydonia (I assume). It is really delicious, my favorite.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner