Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front yard trees with dappled shade?

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 7:42

I was just researching this forum for opinions on the locust trees. Looks like the choices all have problems with suckering--a problem which I definitely wish to avoid having seen what common black locust can do. Do ALL the locusts make root groves like this?

What other trees might be a good front yard choice that have a high or filtered shade like locust leaves provide?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front yard trees with dappled shade?

How tall do you want it to be? Something like Serviceberry (Amelanchier) creates a very light and open canopy.

o

Did you consider honeylocust, yellowwood and kentucky coffeetree? I'd say these are amongst the most desirable of the leguminosae.

o
Yard trees with dappled shade?

I'm not really looking specifically for leguminosae. Honey locust sounded really good, but after reading about the webworms, borers, etc. I guess I'm going to pass. I don't think my soil conditions will work for the yellowwood and the coffee tree may be an issue with poison pods, leaves and my puppy.

We inherited all these plantings: I have only one real shade tree, a Japanese maple in the back of the house in an area we don't really use. A side yard deciduous tree is a tulip magnolia in another inconvenient location. The mature trees here are otherwise evergreen and narrow--crytomeria, holly, cedar and giant arborvitae. On the south side is a huge, ancient kwanzan cherry with such low hanging branches you can't use it to sit under. I'd like something that actually shades the walkway and a part of the front yard and something for the west facing the kitchen stoop in back of the house (very narrow backyard area of perhaps 12 feet wide.)

Why the previous occupants never planted for usable shade ( over a 40 year period !), I don't know. Perhaps they never spent time outdoors.

o

American elm is known for its dappled shade. If you get one you would have to get one of the DED resistant cultivars like "Princeton".

o

8 years ago, I planted black locust "Frisia" at the curb and have not seen any suckering. It's well over 30' tall now. Mine was grown on its own rootstock, not grafted.

o

Look at Halesias. Some get pretty big--30 feet or so--and have lovely bloom and dappled shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here