Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Espalier pruning

Posted by ninaweeds MA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 7:44

Hello, This is my first post, and I was hoping for some advise on pruning a Bartlett pear espalier I planted last year up against a south face wall of my home. When I purchased it I was instructed briefly. I know any branches that extend anteriorly should be removed. I have read that any water shoots should be removed also, but i'm not sure what a water shoot is. The tree shape has 3 lateral branches extending from both sides. The tree did produce 3 pears last year, and looks to have established itself well over the first year. Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Espalier pruning

Espalier pruning is advanced pruning and very rewarding. When I lived in Europe, one of the pleasures of traveling was to see the trees trained up the sides of buildings...sigh...um....ahem.

Water sprouts are, technically, latent buds - buds below the surface of the bark. It is easier to rub off the buds you don't want as branches as they break than letting them grow 2 feet then pruning. You'll get used to it.

An excellent book that has instructions and lots of fun how-tos as well is Sears Step - by - Step Gardening Techniques Illustrated

Dan

o
RE: Espalier pruning

Thanks Dan for the info, I have always been facinated with espalier,and decided to get me one! I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one, I just don't want to kill it. I don't have any knowledge of pruning, but seem to have good instinct so far with common shrubs and bushes.It's raining today, but I'm looking forward to going out tomorrow and looking for some water sprouts to remove. Nina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here