Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune a Japanese Maple

Posted by tom_nwnj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 8:41

Hi all,

I have a Japanese Maple which is mis-shapen. It was growing underneath a 35' Norway Maple and a Crabapple. Both the Norway Maple and crab were very damaged from storms and sapsuckers, respectively. I had to take them down this past winter, along with a pin cherry.

I was very sad especially to have to remove the crab, as it used to attract baltimore orioles, The crab pretty much stopped flowering last year.

Anyway, the remaining Japanese Maple has been neglected and is not very symmetrical.

If it needs to be heavily pruned, is this the time to do it?
What areas need to be removed.

(Links for three other pics at the bottom)

Thanks!
Tom
Northwestern New Jersey

Three other pics

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/6966773071_016a80ee8c_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7188/6966767459_01bf23cd09_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6820648084_59ee948f9d_b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune a Japanese Maple

that is one of the biggest JM's i have ever seen ....

and looks a lot like a couple of my redbuds.. are we sure on this ID???

what i dont understand.. is WHY you think it needs anything ...

so.. WHAT IS YOUR GOAL ... and once you define that.. then you will start to get a better idea of how to go about it all ...

there are a couple low branches.. that would smack me on the head on the riding lawnmower.. i would take those out ...

i would remove any crossing branches.. and dead ones ...

but otherwise .. it look pretty good .. as it is ...

WHAT IS YOUR GOAL

ken

o

As ken said, I don't think you need to prune anything..
Here is the largest Jap maple I have ever seen.. (for fun)
Photobucket

J

o

Well, my wife wants it symmetrical. So, the question is, will it become symmetrical in several years on its own, in full sun?

That all I need to know.

Thanks,

tom

o

perhaps you can have her explain what that means ...

because it looks pretty symmetrical to me...

perhaps her problem ... dont touch that.. lol .. is the hill it is on ...

in other words.. her perception ...

since it is just coming out from growing in the shade.. i would probably give it a season or two.. before i went in there and screwed it up

or... buy her a pruning saw for mothers day .. and tell her to go at it .. lol ...

ken

o

What a landscape changing experience! And a pretty neatly shaped tree you have.

I might let the Japanese maple go for a year and see what it does. If you have a hot dry summer I would be a little concerned a tree used to the shade might burn a bit.

One of my dogwoods which was in the shade of an ash tree is growing all these shoots up towards the sun. I need a plan to prune a couple off. You can probably have that kind of fun next year.

Also, if any branches are crossing and rubbing you can prune them. Be conservative, it takes way less time to cut a branch off than grow it back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here